whats the difference?

grumbeast

Hi guys

i have some husband goodness money burning a hole in my pocket and noticed that ace of bicycle has a pile of stuff on ebay including a tomix Kiha 71 (which I think are so neat!)  what I dont get is what is the difference between these:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=Kiha+71

it cant just be newhall being idiots can it?

I'm seriously thinking about it, but ace's prices seem to be hit and miss

anyone got any advice?

graham

Don't think twice about it, it's the same product. Newhall is just being greedy. I allways found them too expensive.

• Like 1

I find Ace of Bicycle's prices are roughly like your local hobby shop - you can probably get better, but they may have something rare that you want and the price isn't crazy, just marked up because they clearly don't have high turnover. Newhallstation is always expensive; you'll frequently see things being sold for a 300%+ markup above the MSRP, despite those items being in production and widely available. Newhall's idea of a "sale" is to take an $85 in production Kato 9600, and claim it is "on sale" for only $129. In another example Kato is rerunning the Yo 5000 ($14) in a few months. Until then you have 2 ways of getting it (besides finding it on a Japanese language auction): Pay $50 at Newhallstation for the just the car, or pay $50 at Hobby Search or Hobby World or Plaza Japan to get the Kato mixed freight assortment- 6 cars, of which one is the Yo 5000.

The only reason to shop at NewHallStation is if you have a lot of money and absolutely must have something that is out of production and don't want to go to Yahoo (Japan) auctions - the only reason they have stock is because no one is going to pay $900 for a $300 set.

Thanks for the advice guys,

I took a look around the "internets" for the same price and there were Japanese stores selling it for a comparable price to Ace, (and a few as insane as Newhall) so I made an impulse buy and have ordered one (from Ace of Bicycle of course! :)  From the first time I saw a Kiha71 I was in, well not love, cause they're so wierd looking, but jeez its some amazing looking.  And with this being tomix's HQ range I figure it will be a beautiful model for my first Tomix piece (all Kato up to now).

Will take pics when it arrives

Graham

The only reason to shop at NewHallStation is if you have a lot of money and absolutely must have something that is out of production and don't want to go to Yahoo (Japan) auctions - the only reason they have stock is because no one is going to pay $900 for a $300 set.

I have also found that their stock counts may not be accurate.  When you inquire about an item and get an answer, you find out its gone.   I suspect they may sell many items at shows, possibly to a market that has never seen or heard of the items before.