E259 Narita Express (N'EX) prototype release

to2leo

Kato has just released its take on the E259

Judging from the model, it looks very promising.

Another neat thing about it is the new interpretation of the couplings,

hopefully it does not require big track curves.

Pictures from Popondetta.

post-60-13569924274158_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569924274434_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569924274632_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569924274919_thumb.jpg

Having more time to review now that I am back home, I wonder if Kato can really pull it off with the new coupling system.

Although it seems more prototypical, I wonder whether it is feasible to have them since they look pretty fragile especially when modelers will be taking them in and out of the Kato book-like boxes.

I know this is not a finished product but I thought the black windows are much bigger than that?  Am I just mistaking?

I cannot wait for the Tomix's take on this product since they were first one to announce this.  I wonder what's the delay?

More pictures about Kato, this time from Joshin of Osaka.

A few on how the new coupling system will look like.

Is it just me or is this model is looking more toy-like?

post-60-13569924316803_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569924317064_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569924317383_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569924317863_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569924318184_thumb.jpg

post-60-1356992431847_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569924318901_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569924319267_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

It propably looks a bit toylike because it's a fairly rough prototype. Once they add lettering and small detail bits and pieces it'll be fine ;)

Leo - Thanks for posting the new photos. As for the new coupling system.....I don't know I'm curious how it is going to respond when the cars have to go into a tight radius.  :dontknow:

The model looks fine but as I am modelling the South Kansai area in my layout that is now known as "Sakai", I won't have any use for the model personally. However I am skeptical about the new coupling system, while the curve radius on my high speed tracks which are R348 and R315 as its a double viaduct track which is fine for Shinkansen's etc. My local lines use R282 and R249 curves which are significantly tighter than those. So my question would be that would these new couplers work on these type of curves without derailing?

CaptOblivious

I bet this coupler won't have a problem on radii down to about 243mm or so. The coupler appears to be Kato's standard expanding body mount, such as is used on their recent vintage EMUs. My Kato E231 has them, and it's great on tight curves. You can take two coupled cars and sit them at a 90º angle to each other, and the couplers just take it. The simulated body-mounted-dampers appear to sit below the body, and on tight curves would tuck in. The only thing they could bump into is the coupler mount itself, and while I think that would prevent the neat 90º that the couplers themselves can handle, I doubt that even very tight radiused track would pose a problem for the additional dampers.

Update Just checked. Not quite 90º. But close. Realistically, more like 45º. Pictures below. This new N'EX model won't have any difficulties on 9" radius track, I'm sure.

2010-03-21_12.05.44.jpg

2010-03-21_12.06.11.jpg

Hi CaptO,

Thanks for the pictures.  This looks like the Kato Kinematic Knuckle Coupler system?  It is an ingenious invention and it can negotiates most of the tight S curves while still maintaining close coupling on straight track.  I got them for my Southern Pacific's Morning Daylight and was included in the TGVs.

However, another question that I and maybe others have is the addition of the chain link square thing that goes between the cars.  I am wondering whether that square thing, suppose to add realism to the train will hinder the set in negotiating with bends and curves.

post-60-13569924321133_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569924321506_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
CaptOblivious

Leo,

They work differently than the SP Daylight kinematic couplers, but the effect is precisely the same.

I was observing that the dampers, that extra box-like thing that attaches to the couplers, look like they swing free of the frame, and shouldn't interfere with tight turns at all. Anyway, that's my guess.

The prototype looks like a faithful representative to me, I think with lettering applied to the front and other areas it will look much better.

Just an update that the final product will be out soon.

I am so glad they decide on the current coating and colour.

I can't wait for my very own!

Photos are from Popondetta.

post-60-13569924531076_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569924531434_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569924531723_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
CaptOblivious

I love the individually-colored cabling around the pantograph! This is going to be an outstanding model.

I love this train! Definitely on the 'next' list for me. Riding the real thing, it does seem like the 259 is faster than the 253 by a significant margin, or maybe it's just my imagination?

BTW, with the new coupling system, I take it that I can't use the old cars from my Kato 253 set then as an add on?

@ Capt O  I really hope it will run as nice as it looks.  I am tempted to get another set but one set will do for now.

@ Fat Al I think it might be able to connect to E253 if the front coupling is the same as the Sunrise Express.  I personally don't have E253 but I will check it out with my Sunrise Express once I receive the package.

CaptOblivious

@ Capt O  I really hope it will run as nice as it looks.  I am tempted to get another set but one set will do for now.

@ Fat Al I think it might be able to connect to E253 if the front coupling is the same as the Sunrise Express.  I personally don't have E253 but I will check it out with my Sunrise Express once I receive the package.

The nose couplers in the photos look like standard Kato couplers. You shouldn't have any problems coupling a Kato E253 consist to the end of the new E259.

CaptOblivious

Pass.

Still pass.

Whats wrong with the NEX?

Also, you haven't see the true thing.

I'll be passing too, and I think for the same reasons: It simply falls outside of our respective collecting scopes.

alpineaustralia
I'll be passing too, and I think for the same reasons: It simply falls outside of our respective collecting scopes.

Are you sure we cant convince you? it really is a beautiful train. Great detail and DCC friendly. Come on whatdoyasay? huh ?

CaptOblivious

Are you sure we cant convince you? it really is a beautiful train. Great detail and DCC friendly. Come on whatdoyasay? huh ?

I dunno…are you buying? I won't turn down free trains! But I'm still saving up for Kato's recently sold-out "Noto" ;)

nik_n_dad

Ok, just got one from Plaza Japan.  My stockpile for Nik is getting big again.  Maybe I'll get this one for Father's Day instead?