Bachmann Metropolitan Building

gr8tfuldead

gr8tfuldead

What are people's feelings about the Bachmann HO Metropolitan Building kit? Do you think it's too big for use in N scale, or will it be OK? I have one sealed in the box and I'm debating whether to build it or sell it. I'd hate to spend the time working on it, only to find that it looks ridiculous on my layout.

A couple of years ago my LHS started carrying the Spectrum City scenes kits and I decided to purchase one, a Department store. I was surprised at how good the quality was and even made a scene inside the store.

Having said that, here is the problem I think you're going to have to ask your self. Do the windows and doors of the building look to big if you compare it to an "N" scale building?

Is this the building that RMC had an article about converting it to N scale?  They did this by making the windows cover two stories in N instead of one story in HO.  You might want to hide the ground floor.

I think you are looking at the cost savings of having it on hand but not anticipating the added cost and time involved in integrating it into the layout. 

You are going to get Scale Adjustment Syndrome or SAS. Once you place an off scale element on your layout you have to compensate for it. This compensation factor just continues to perpetuates itself until you have full blown SAS. Once you have SAS you will have to deal with it for the rest of the Layouts life. Not worth the savings just becasue you have the building to me.

If it were a modern building with plate glass windows you can get away with it but with the old style pane glass the eye can catch the variation. It is almost a 50% size difference that may be too much to over come or hide.

Just my thoughts not even worth $.02 so I wont say it. 

Inobu 

Inobu - makes a good point. The amount of time to reconfigure the windows and doors of the building plus the added expense of buying the material you'll need to do this, my suggestion would be to sell the building and use the money that you get for it to buy some "N scale" buildings for your layout. I'm not sure which Bachmann spectrum building you do have, but what you might get for that one HO building you might be able to get a couple of N scale buildings. Just my my 2 cents.

I just bought this building off a guy named Max. It's converted to N scale. It's a very easy conversion to make. :D Don't sell it. You only need a small amount of strip styrene and it can be done in a day. It's a beautiful building.

3243210026_8cdc82e3d1_o.jpg

I'm going to age and weather this building next week and I'll take some better photos of it. This is a photo of Max's when he Had the building on his Layout. I also bought this cool Bralick Building off him too.

4412124465_e2650cb5ac_o.jpg

4412860904_bc9b3d5e7e_o.jpg

Let me know if you still have the building and you want help with this. I have the full article if anyone wants to read it. I'll post a link later.

Cheers, Bob

I don't think I can post the photos on here but I'll post a link. This is the full article on how to build this conversion. I just uploaded scanned photos onto my flickr account.

Thanks to Kirk or DigitalDremz for supplying me with these.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2793/4468538051_da76c825d0_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4469331368_7274de2d9d_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/4469317466_6ff82cde4d_b.jpg

I also have a full 5 page article I can link to as well of this guys entire N scale city layout. Let me know if you'd like me to or if I'm allowed to.

Cheers, Bob.

I hope this helps and that you've not sold your kit yet. :D

gr8tfuldead

I still do have the building and I forgot that I have the Trade Tower too. I'm debating what to do with them, I still have to look at the conversion article and decide whether all the work is worth it. Selling them would raise some funds for a pretty new Tsubame though.

Let me know what you want for the trade tower.

I got that building from max today in the mail. Here's a couple of photos of it. I photographed it next to the center section of my DPM kitbash. Both buildings need aging and detail work. But I really like it.

4480304351_e6c325d3e0.jpg

4480303391_fc9ed28236.jpg

• Like 1

I also have a full 5 page article I can link to as well of this guys entire N scale city layout. Let me know if you'd like me to or if I'm allowed to.

Cheers, Bob.

I hope this helps and that you've not sold your kit yet. :D

scraper,

i would be interested in a link to this article!

thanks

jeff

Jeff, I'll do this later tonight for sure. I'll post the links to the larger file size. Like I did before. Let me know if those links worked for you.

All the best, Bob

Bachmann has an ad in the December 2010 MR announcing the seven Cityscenes buildings are being reissued in HO at MRSP of $69.00 to $119.00.

LibertyCity

Hopefully you don't mind I bump this topic.

I was wondering if the building on the picture shown by Scaper on 01 april 2010 is H0 and if yes, how did you create the building at the left.

Hopefully you can tell me that.