Tomix point switch workings

stevenh

To all,

Can anyone tell me if the Tomix point switches provide momentary power, or perpetually power the points in whichever polarity? I'm currently working out the best method to control these from an Arduino (but the idea would also concern DCC Accessory controllers) and whether or not I should burst out 12v to them or supply a lower consistent voltage.

Thanks, Steven.

CaptOblivious

They are (rather cleverly designed) momentary switches; leaving the current on permanently would burn out the coil! Your best bet would be to use a capacitive discharge circuit, or at least a small power transistor, since the current draw may exceed what the little Atmel processor can provide.

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I didn't want to know :)

I think I'll use a H-Bridge and control the voltage (which means I can then reverse it.)

That means two sets of points per H-Bridge and therefore six of them for this layout.

That'll do, and it's nice and technical :)

CaptOblivious

You might look at how people have configured the Digitrax turnout decoder for use with Kato turnouts. It is a highly configurable unit, and you could probably glean the current and duration requirements (voltage is 12VDC) from those settings. Tomix turnouts are very very similar to Kato ones, so you could just apply those parameters mutatis mutandis.

Steven,

might want to look at the BCD circuit. its a simple capacitor discharge circuit that works great on kato points. we were just getting the coil resistance measurements to figure out the right capicitor for tomix points. nice as it give a much better descrete pulse to activate the coil than any momentary switch would and thus give you the most reliable switch and be nicer on the coils. the kato big blue controller tend to get cranky with age and break. i think the tomix use a very similar momentary contact design as the katos.

more info on bcd here

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,1260.0.html

pm me and ill get you the address of the guy to get the plans for it. bout $4 per turnout, but lots of cool options with it.

cheers

jeff

I got it all sorted and working on my Arduino... and then managed to melt the point by switching it perpetually back and forth with a 500ms delay between switching.

So, the point motor is still intact, but the point blades are no longer secured. Time to source a non-electrified tomix mini-turnout/switch/point.