1/144 Kumamoto Castle Model

cteno4

Martijn Meerts

To be honest, I would've expected more than 570 pieces considering the entire interior structure is also modeled. Nevertheless, it looks amazing, and I'd order one myself instantly if I had the money to spare ;)

Matthew was over today (for real, no april fools anymore!) to work in the shop on our new module containers and we looked at the castle model some more. it looks like the tatami mat painting might not be so hard as the whole floor can be painted the mat color then come back and paint the small cracks between the mat and just wipe off the extra on the surface.

the shoji screens on the walls though are another matter! i dont think that technique will work. im going to experiment with using a print stamp pad to see if i can first paint them white so the recessed white screen area is painted then stamp on black paint to the raised frame surface. there are like 100 walls to do and each has like 3-5 screens and doors on it!

if that fails then i may look at printing stickers that have the shoji screens on them.

I think this is one im going to have to get a table set up to work on it then just chip away a little each night as i could see this getting very overwhelming fast!

I put up a gallery of pictures of the packaging and the manuals on the jrm site. ill try and do a more concise write up/review of the castle on the jrm site with more pictures.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/photos/kumamoto_castle/index.html

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

Actually not as i have a very hard time working w/o music or the tv on! it helps me focus as there is always a small part of my brain that wants to do something different so i give it a toy to play with...

jeff

Just noticed the model went up on HW.

http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/GUN73546.aspx

only 6% off though, hs is still 20% off on it! its also currently on 7-14 day backorder at hw and sold out at hs...

for the grins i checked the shipping at HW and its the same 12,900 for ems and you can also do it sal at 11,500! that would really be worth it!

cheers

jeff

Actually not as i have a very hard time working w/o music or the tv on! it helps me focus as there is always a small part of my brain that wants to do something different so i give it a toy to play with...

jeff

only reason i still own a TV

Just noticed the model went up on HW.

http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/GUN73546.aspx

only 6% off though, hs is still 20% off on it! its also currently on 7-14 day backorder at hw and sold out at hs...

But can HW get that item on back order?  This is the type of item that comes and then goes in a blink.  SAL savings are probably worth less than the HS 20% off.

Bernard,

no, its been too busy to dive into it. going to take some planning on how crazy i want to get with the interior. want to wait until i can do it right. it was a lot of $$ so dont want to blow it!

cheers

jeff

Actually, my samurai armour cost a LOT more than 16200 yen to ship... Anyways, getting way too off-topic ;)

... but does it itch???

Cheers

The_Ghan

Martijn Meerts

Actually, my samurai armour cost a LOT more than 16200 yen to ship... Anyways, getting way too off-topic ;)

... but does it itch???

Cheers

The_Ghan

Haven't tried it on yet, but the pants that go underneath the armour sure aren't comfortable.. Although, that might also be because I still haven't figured out how you're supposed to wear them =)

As for the castle, noticed HW has one in stock... I also just got paid.... Soooo tempting ...

I tried a samurai armor at Matsuyama this summer ans I cannot stop thinking about it since.

Where did you buy yours? How expensive was it? Is it a replica or an original?

Thanks in advance for the answer! :-)

Martijn Meerts

I tried a samurai armor at Matsuyama this summer ans I cannot stop thinking about it since.

It's a replica, but hand-made in Japan the old-fashioned way by the same people who made all the armour for Kurosawa's Ran. I've had mine custom-fit so I can wear it. I also have the undergarments, straw sandals, wooden plaque that says I'm the owner of the armour. With shipping and taxes etc. I guess I paid around 3000 USD.

I also have a matching set of iaido swords (katana and wakizashi, otherwise known as "daisho"), also hand-crafted in Japan and customized to my specifications. They're not folded steel swords, those are a bit too expensive, and you can't get one custom made unless you're filthy rich or a swordsmaster ;)

It's a replica, but hand-made in Japan the old-fashioned way by the same people who made all the armour for Kurosawa's Ran. I've had mine custom-fit so I can wear it. I also have the undergarments, straw sandals, wooden plaque that says I'm the owner of the armour. With shipping and taxes etc. I guess I paid around 3000 USD.

I also have a matching set of iaido swords (katana and wakizashi, otherwise known as "daisho"), also hand-crafted in Japan and customized to my specifications. They're not folded steel swords, those are a bit too expensive, and you can't get one custom made unless you're filthy rich or a swordsmaster ;)

Thanks! I dream of having one!!!

I envy you!! And if you have the daisho with it (even in iaido swords, I think for real blades, multiply by 3 or 4 the total price of your "toy") it's just awesome!

Here is a picture of me at Matsuyama-jo playing with an armor:

:grin

4757609738_952526704b.jpg

Mighty & angry swiss samurai! by loriskumo, on Flickr