こんいちは!I’m a new train model guy from Australia, よろしくお願いします

kanade

Hey everyone, I’m a newly minted model train enthusiast, and I would love to meet new people here, and also get some assistance with some of my trains 😉

I’ve enjoyed trains all my life and life recently took me down this path to model trains so here I am! I’m currently installing lights in all my Kato rolling stock, with my 800 series shinkansen causing some trouble as the lead and end cars won’t pop off the body properly :((

I don’t plan on diorama making for the time being due to lack of space, but I get plenty of enjoyment sharing my hobby with others.

My current rolling stock is:

- N700S shinkansen

- Yellow Doctor (700 series)

- E5 and E6

- 800 series shinkansen

- Kintetsu limited Shimakaze

- Shikishima 

I have managed to fit my trains onto a straight piece of track though! Here are some images from my early trains to night style runs.

Edit: Just a note, I don't use forums particularly much so my photo layouts will be bad for the time being

IMG_6046.jpeg

IMG_6259.png

Edited by kanade
See note at end of post
  • Like 6

Hi @kanade, glad you found us! You are sunk, once you’ve caught the Japanese model train bug there is no cure other than buying more until they find you buried under a pile of model train cases but with a smile on your face.

It’s fun to run on the floor like that easy way to get going and with limited space—it’s how a lot of Japanese do it! Kato and Tomix sectional track is so easy to tear down and set up and very robust. Do do a quick vacuum before you plunk track down as the trains are good at picking up the little bits of schmutz from the floor. Cat and light dog fuzz also is good at getting sucked up. If you notice any motor car stuttering take a look inside. But with a little care it’s fine to run on the floor and lets you set up much larger things than you could probably ever on tables.

You can have a bit of a diorama on the floor, just plunk down some buildings and strips of paper for roads, quick and easy. If limited finances there are quite a few papercraft building models you can print out on cardstock and cutout and glue/tape up. PM me and I ca get you some of the free ones I’ve downloaded over the years.

Keep us posted on your progress!

cheers

jeff

• Like 2

ようこそ!

Just as an addition to what cteno4 said, if you enjoy taking photos of your trains (which it looks like you do and that's a really nice photo of the shinkansens) and you are just a bit curious about diorama making even though you might neither have the space or energy for it, you can still do a lot simply by cheating.

Your post just inspired me to set up some temporary terrain for this photo:

IUkswxLS.thumb.jpg.7ccdf94cdbc352d8d2d421ff57c3aee6.jpg

Watched from another camera angle though, it looks somewhat underwhelming.

😁

wFodYFwE.thumb.jpg.d0f88c9990305936e1cc970a19659127.jpg

As you see there isn't much here: some paper, a couple of boards of green ground, some lose clump foliage, a building, a pair of catenary poles, a deer and not even a whole train set. Also a book about the Holy Roman Empire that when I bought it I never envisioned would be a part of a model railway diorama. If your budget is limited, I'd say skip the Holy Roman Empire book. You can do without it.

• Like 7

It’s amazing how just a few bits of scenery can make things pop, especially when doing some photography.

heres another quick setup approach from the wargaming world. Using colored sheets, construction paper, scenery islands and add8ng a fringe of scenery to your structures, and jsut plop it all done!

cheers,

jeff

Thank you all for your words of encouragement! I am planning on getting some buildings potentially for some urban scenery for sure.

I am based in Sydney for anyone who was wondering

• Like 2
4 hours ago, kanade said:

I am based in Sydney

Welcome! There are a few of us Aus-based members here 🙂 

6 hours ago, kanade said:

I am based in Sydney

Welcome...I am in Sydney as well, but being an old fogy I am interested in Japanese steam locomotives!

Graeme

• Like 1
SL58654号

Welcome, @kanade Glad you found us.
Whether on the floor or with a layout (I've been there and done both) Japanese model trains are out of this world.

It seems a lot of English-speaking Japanese rail fans are from Australia. I have a few other friends from there. Ever been to the Puffing Billy Railway? I'm a fan of steam from wherever.