Union Pacific exhibit train display and my Anime Postcard collection display at Con for a Cause

Dillon

I'll be displaying my anime postcard collection at Con for a Cause, a small convention run by a writer who is local to my state(https://www.facebook.com/share/TcatbxXij3Bq5h1o/). It'll be the first time I'll be displaying my postcards at a convention(https://www.facebook.com/events/937106604455318), and here's a twist, I'll be displaying my KATO Union Pacific 844 and a small train during the whole convention on Sunday, August 18th, 2024.(https://www.facebook.com/events/845517370568839)

So if anyone lives in Reno, Nevada, come visit, the con is free, and it's nice to see local nerds and talent.

ad for a convention.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

Edited by Dillon
Change to feel more correct
  • Like 1

Dillion,

are you going to write up a paragraph or two on what the postcards are for those that don’t know about them? Maybe little one or two sentence labels next to each card with the show, character, abs interesting bit maybe? Might help draw folks in more and then get them talking. I know you said in the past some folks were hesitant to look a lot not seeming to know what they were.

have fun! 

jeff

3 hours ago, cteno4 said:

are you going to write up a paragraph or two on what the postcards are for those that don’t know about them? Maybe little one or two sentence labels next to each card with the show, character, abs interesting bit maybe? Might help draw folks in more and then get them talking. I know you said in the past some folks were hesitant to look a lot not seeming to know what they were.

I don't know, I've learned that too many words can turn off a lot of people, and on the other hand, I like to do a few for animes that people don't know, and also limited the space and table, you have to remember that there are limitations for everything, a Red Wagon might carry your stuff, but it'll overfill in no time. So the plan is to do a few from anime that people don't know and explain what is the anime in the postcards.

Summarizing is better than two paragraphs of words.

-Dillon

3 hours ago, cteno4 said:

are you going to write up a paragraph or two on what the postcards are for those that don’t know about them?

Here's another answer, yes I am, but I disagree with doing the two paragraphs here's a reason.

While I do agree that adding a description to an anime does help people what anime is and knowing what anime is, the reason I disagree with you is a few things, number 1, is table size, I don't know the table size, so it could be very big, or very small, so I won't have enough room to put any descriptions next to the postcards, like if I have 12 anime postcards display, then 12 descriptions, everything has limitations. The second is too many words, I've learned that people want something short and simple about what anime is this, and what you said sounds like each postcard would have an essay style of paragraphs, which is too many words and would turn away from the postcards, something short and simple would attach the attendees and still be curious. For The Little Nevada Display, I keep the descriptions of the engines and Branch line short and simple, enough to make people interested. 

So in the end, I'm just writing short simple descriptions because of the limited space I have, and I want to keep things short for people since it'll make them interested in the subject of the postcards.

-Dillon

The second time I'll be displaying my models will be at Con for a Cause, a local convention in Reno-sparks, Nevada, this was last minute decision and I did ask the con owner if I could do this, he said yes, and it'll be display with my anime postcards, the train is short, with 844, tool car/mail car, Portland Rose, and Kenefick.

The display will be on display from 8 am to 5 pm.

https://www.facebook.com/share/GuKu4uqpynhf91QK/

IMG_3340.jpg

Con for a Cause is a much smaller, but enjoyable convention that I participated in on Sunday, not only I display my anime postcard collection, but I also displayed my Union Pacific 844 from KATO and passenger cars, there were some hiccups like 844's front trailing truck popped off, but I got it back in pretty quickly, while I did got some pleasing interactions about my postcards, people were quite happy to see the model, with is interesting since it wasn't operating, but the response was quite nice, and I'm doing this again next year.

IMG_1530.JPG

IMG_1532.JPG

• Like 1

Con for a Cause is a small local convention in my state, and it was on a Sunday where I displayed my postcards, despite its small showing, it was quite loud, many people were interested in my display, and one person even told me that he watches all the anime that was displayed on the table, way better then the last event I hosted. Will I do this again? I don't know, maybe when the time is right, maybe.

IMG_3413.jpeg

• Like 1

Events can vary. We do half a dozen events every year and year to year it can be variable on reaction and such and these are larger events so should be a bit more stable than small events where year to year could vary wildly. They are work, but I do find them fun to interact with the public and engage folks about hobbies.

jeff

• cteno4 changed the title to Union Pacific exhibit train display and Anime Postcards at Con for a Cause
2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Events can vary. We do half a dozen events every year and year to year it can be variable on reaction and such and these are larger events so should be a bit more stable than small events where year to year could vary wildly. They are work, but I do find them fun to interact with the public and engage folks about hobbies.

jeff

And like I said, no one seemed to care, the information on the postcards was good enough to engage in a topic, that's all that matters.

• Dillon changed the title to Union Pacific exhibit train display and my Anime Postcard collection display at Con for a Cause