Internet Shop: Kato Model Trains

RS18U

Just wondering about Kato Model Trains https://www.katomodeltrains.com/?currency=CAD

Anyone have experience with them?  I am assuming they are not related to Kato, but are they reputable?  Where are they located?  Some of their prices seem reasonable, and some not so much, but the free shipping over $150 can be a pretty big cost saver.

Thanks,

Will

beakaboy

would be wary of someone who only provides a gmail address and dosen't appear to answer enquiries on their facebook site. 

• cteno4 changed the title to Internet Shop: Kato Model Trains
disturbman

Wouldn't buy from a shop that uses the name of the brand they sale as their own (so much wrong with this, see @bc6reaction) nor give a physical address and/or company registration. In this day and age, it raises too many red flags.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 2
beakaboy

I had a situation recently with a friend looking at a hobby shop listed as being in Auckland , NZ.  I was suspicious and as they had an address listed on their website, I used google maps to see the street view. The building I found had no door or entry off the street listed on website and was also another company operating which was totally unrelated to hobbies/railways,etc. 

2 hours ago, beakaboy said:

and was also another company operating which was totally unrelated to hobbies/railways,etc.

OF TOPIC: well, tbf, if you'd google my company you'd find everything from running a callcenter to selling GPS devices to offering help on moving.

XD

Kingmeow

I would be wary.  Free shipping over $150 is splashed on the intro screen.  But in the fine print under Shipping, it says free shipping over $99.  Which one is it?  In the About section the opening sentence says "kato..." whereas the rest of the paragraph says "Kato..."  These little telltale signs of carelessness gives off red flags.  Also, as previously stated, just where are they located???!!!

I would stay away.  There are plenty of other legit places.

Dodgy!

So many typos and incorrect grammar in many of the information fields, it looks like it’s been set up in a rush. Most stock information is Google translated description and images used are from other sources. 

If you just read the About tab or look at Refund and Exchange policy, everything screams to avoid. No information on where it’s based, where stock is dispatched from or who runs it and all images are from other sources. 

This seems a really simple lesson in how to spot a fake and hopefully it will help people spot the cracks.  There are better dodgy websites out there. 😂

Edited by Kamome

Also don’t know why you would want to use a shop 75% more than even HS!

jeff

bill937ca
21 hours ago, bc6 said:

I thought that was legit Kato from Japan?

This is the Katomodels web site.

https://www.katomodels.com/

At the top right you can access the English version.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

Thanks all.  Agreed, pretty dodgy for sure when its all put together, which is why I asked.  Unfortunately they seem have the Google search algorithms figured out though as they seem to come up high, at least in my searches.