Railway Collection questions - JNR Series 70

scott

I'm thinking about getting this:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10098033

...while it's on sale at Hobby Search. I like the colors and the style, and it'd be nice to have something from the Niigata area. But the HS page isn't saying which power unit and which replacement pantographs go with this model. Does anybody know how I can find out?

OK, I just found the link I missed on the first three tries, so your secret is out. :-)

I wasn't aware of the "trailer" part of the equation. Do you need one of those for every unpowered car?

CaptOblivious

I believe each trailer set is good for two cars. It contains weights and metal wheels to replace the plastic ones. Not strictly necessary, but improves running characteristics tremendously.

AFAIK you can pull them out of the box (except the ones with prototypical couplers), however I think the wheels that come with it are plastic, and there isn't any real weight in the (plastic) model - meaning that it will run, but it might run like a cheap Model Power trainset car (no weight + cheap plastic wheels = derailment at the first switch or sharp curve).

Maybe someone has experience with how well they run with just the display wheels and no added weight?

Hmmm...I'm starting to realize that this isn't the cheap deal it seemed to be.

But I'm still interested in hearing how the system works...up to now, our only Tomix display-to-powered conversion has been the Portram, which obviously doesn't need the "trailer" parts.

CaptOblivious

Oh, there is someone with experience running them. Posted right above me :BangHead:.

I have only a single Tomytec Rail Collection vehicle, and it's now motorized. I did spend a fair amount of time with my daughter just pushing it along tracks, and we both got to see how well it handled—not bad, but not great. Of course, we didn't try switches. Or pulling it behind a loco.

So my experience is quite limited :D

Scott: the system is really straightforward. You buy the set, a motor, (in your case) two sets of the trailer parts (to outfit three trailers), and (in your case) two pantographs (do they come two to a pack?). That's pretty much it. The instruction sheets are very clear about how everything goes together. Easy-peasy, and still remarkably cheap.

Train: 3600円

TM-09: 2800円

TT-03 x 2: 1600円

PS13: 700円

Total: 8700円

with discount: 6980円 = about $77. Not too shabby for a four-car train. You could do worse. Of course the TT-03 is back-ordered just now…

DCC conversion is so simple it hurts. Adding headlights and markerlights requires a steady hand and a willingness to drill holes.