JRM at Otakon Friday Aug 2 & Saturday Aug 3

cteno4

We will be at Otakon on Friday Aug 2 12p-8p and Saturday Aug 3 10a-6p with the club’s Ttrak layout. Otakon is the big anime convention in the area, with 42,000 in attendance last year at the Washington DC convention center. It’s a 3 day con, but we just do Saturday due to logistics getting in and out as well as enough members to get into dc to run things. Maybe next year we may try to see if we could do Friday and Saturday. it’s a great show, lots of folks in costumes, tons of creative people. Folks are very interested and surprised to see the Japanese and anime themed trains at the con and everyone is very appreciative of us being there, which really feels nice.

If you are going to Otakon come see us, we are in the open area behind the big dealers hall.

jeff

fun from previous years!

IMG_0510.jpeg

IMG_0480.jpeg

IMG_1474.jpeg

IMG_1473.jpeg

• Like 5
  • cteno4 changed the title to JRM at Otakon Friday Aug 2 & Saturday Aug 3

So we have enough members to cover doing otakon Friday as well! Show opens at noon on Friday so that means we don’t have to be there until 10a and miss commute traffic into dc! Then means Saturday we don’t have to be down there until 10a. Also means not trying to do setup, a full day, and the  teardown all in one day. Hopefully also be able to see the show some more.

jeff

• Like 2

Holy crapspace Batman! I just fit in all the club modules and layout stuff, wagon and such, plus another double and single module into the BACK of the Kia Nero PHEV with th front passenger slot open! I had not tried to fit it all in there before. In the past it packed the Prius V to the gills including the front passenger space to do that and it was a pita to jigsaw puzzle it! Nero was sposta have 4 cuft less cargo space. I figured I could squeeze it all into the Nero as it took like 75% easily last show only 2 layers high, not to the top with three layers. I was stunned when I got it all into the back plus some extra thrown in to boot!

so glad we chose that car and not a larger one, we got the smaller car size for regular use, best fuel economy and 35mike PHEV, and it fits everything! Wooo hooo!

jeff

• Like 2

Wasn’t me it was the Nero, it’s swallowed it all!

I’m just glad we picked it over a bigger car, this one does the job just right.

jeff

So our first Friday went well. This is the 30th anniversary of Otakon so big year. This year the vendors/exhibitors hall was filled to the gills! Like 40-50% more than last year. This is the main hall that is like 2 square full city blocks! Unfortunately we were pushed to the back a bit more than last year and just so many more vendors it’s a bit harder to be seen, but not bad. Also it seemed from the scale of the vendors this year people seemed more in a hurry to see everything and some were walking around a bit dazed, I think on overload. But we had good crowds and always tankfuls and polite and enthusiastic! Best quote of the day was “OMG, that’s f#$king fun!!

not a huge showing of costumes, I think Saturday will be a lot more people and costumes. We are back for another 8 hrs Saturday!

jeff

IMG_0800.jpeg

IMG_0798.jpeg

IMG_0801.jpeg

IMG_0804.jpeg

IMG_0806.jpeg

IMG_0809.jpeg

IMG_0810.jpeg

IMG_0812.jpeg

IMG_0813.jpeg

IMG_0814.jpeg

IMG_0815.jpeg

IMG_0816.jpeg

IMG_0817.jpeg

IMG_0818.jpeg

IMG_0819.jpeg

IMG_0820.jpeg

IMG_0822.jpeg

• Like 7
7 hours ago, cteno4 said:

So our first Friday went well. This is the 30th anniversary of Otakon so big year. This year the vendors/exhibitors hall was filled to the gills! Like 40-50% more than last year. This is the main hall that is like 2 square full city blocks! Unfortunately we were pushed to the back a bit more than last year and just so many more vendors it’s a bit harder to be seen, but not bad. Also it seemed from the scale of the vendors this year people seemed more in a hurry to see everything and some were walking around a bit dazed, I think on overload. But we had good crowds and always tankfuls and polite and enthusiastic! Best quote of the day was “OMG, that’s f#$king fun!!

It seems like it was packed, glad that Friday was working with you guys.

Saturday went even better, bigger crowds and way more costumes (costume ball is sat night). They set a new attendance record, last year was 42k! 

tired to get some of the more elaborate costumes as they visited the layout today. The two train ladies were so jazzed the layout was there! Tons of appreciation form the attendees, it’s so wonderful to get the great job, but having folks say thank you for doing this is the best. Don’t get that at train shows!

jeff

IMG_0829.jpeg

IMG_0823.jpeg

IMG_0826.jpeg

IMG_0834.jpeg

IMG_0835.jpeg

IMG_0831.jpeg

IMG_0832.jpeg

IMG_0828.jpeg

IMG_0827.jpeg

IMG_0833.jpeg

• Like 3

And a few layout shots. Eva battle module alway a big hit at otakon, but Godzilla I think still beat out Eva for the love and photo ops. Interestingly in the last year or two a high proportion of visitors ask if they can take a photo or video. Something has really changed in the culture on this, very nice and respectful. It’s not only at otakon (where they have a lot of artists that don’t like their artwork photographed) but even at the train shows. Sadly my inflatable gojis have slow leaks now so lots of blowing them up. It’s funny in the last few years folsk are not as interested in posing with the big inflatable goji. We use to have a line sometimes to take your picture with goji.

jeff

IMG_0851.jpeg

IMG_0852.jpeg

IMG_0848.jpeg

IMG_0853.jpeg

• Like 5

Great job guys! Makes me motivated to do this again for my own local convention.

Edited by Dillon
  • Thanks 1