The Little Nevada at Silver Age Comic Comic Con

Dillon

So my first display layout at Silver Age Comic wasn't bad, there were some hiccups, but all in all, it went pretty well. I operate all my engines, and I'm exhausted after this, but I enjoyed talking to some people who were interested in my layout, and it was nice talking to those people. They were also quite excited about 4014 arrival in my city tomorrow(I live in Sparks, Nevada), I might do this again, but there will be changes for next year. In the end, I enjoyed my first display, and was glad to show the convention my layout and engines!

There will be more photos, but here are the first two of the photos.

IMG_1512.JPG

IMG_1487.JPG

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 3

Part 5

I’ll stop right there, going to rest now.

IMG_3297.jpeg

IMG_3296.jpeg

• Like 5

Glad the show was fun for you! Yes they can be exhausting, especially if it’s just you there alone!

looks like you got a convention table? Always nice not to have to lug in tables but at some events they are charged a huge fee for each table used.

we have found the folks at otakon very receptive to the trains as most all are a creative sort and wider interests than usual and many are big into crafting and see right away how they could so bits of the hobby with their current skill set. It’s the best audience we have for folks showing interest in getting into the hobby. Unitrak and Ttrak help sell the idea as well for folks not to have to build a big permanent layout and also be able to do detailed scenery in small modules

jeff

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Glad the show was fun for you! Yes they can be exhausting, especially if it’s just you there alone!

looks like you got a convention table? Always nice not to have to lug in tables but at some events they are charged a huge fee for each table used.

we have found the folks at otakon very receptive to the trains as most all are a creative sort and wider interests than usual and many are big into crafting and see right away how they could so bits of the hobby with their current skill set. It’s the best audience we have for folks showing interest in getting into the hobby. Unitrak and Ttrak help sell the idea as well for folks not to have to build a big permanent layout and also be able to do detailed scenery in small modules

It was fun, and I was glad to do this, it was more funny when some of the attendees yell ‘TRAIN!!’ It was something, talking to the attendees was nice, they all have the same story of having a train set once.

I did asks for two tables, and the extra space help, it was still aching carrying the adidas luggage bag, but it was worth it.

Doing this again next year.

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 1

Yes we get that at public events that are not train events. “Look trains!” Love the delighted look on people’s face as they go back to being a kid for a moment with the delight of playing with their train set. Always nice to be able to bring back bright, fun memories back for folks. Adults can be more of kids at times than the kids are around the layout. Fun to watch.

Three words: little red wagon! We got one of those fold up wagons a couple of years ago and it’s been soo great to schlep stuff about easily. Also way stabler way to carry stuff as hand trucks, pallet carts and even carrying a stack of boxes by hand can easily topple (it’s happened a bummer of time for us over the years. Wagon is the best! Just used it at a picnic the other weekend where parking lot was like quarter mile from the picnic area and it was so easy to transport in all the stuff, everyone was jealous and I hauled the groups stuff back out in it.

jeff

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Yes we get that at public events that are not train events. “Look trains!” Love the delighted look on people’s face as they go back to being a kid for a moment with the delight of playing with their train set. Always nice to be able to bring back bright, fun memories back for folks. Adults can be more of kids at times than the kids are around the layout. Fun to watch.

Three words: little red wagon! We got one of those fold up wagons a couple of years ago and it’s been soo great to schlep stuff about easily. Also way stabler way to carry stuff as hand trucks, pallet carts and even carrying a stack of boxes by hand can easily topple (it’s happened a bummer of time for us over the years. Wagon is the best! Just used it at a picnic the other weekend where parking lot was like quarter mile from the picnic area and it was so easy to transport in all the stuff, everyone was jealous and I hauled the groups stuff back out in it.

I'm planning to scale down and only use Silver Age for non-theme layouts with my steam locomotives, whereas at every other anime convention, I'm planning to use theme anime diesel railcars, making the layout much smaller than the big oval I just did, like those tiny layouts at JAM(International Model Railroad Convention).

Maybe I'll use the little red wagon.

• Like 1
brill27mcb
18 hours ago, cteno4 said:

jeff

Pix and specs for the little red wagon, please!

Rich K.

Rich,

sorry thought I had written it up before but looks like not. Done.

jeff

• Like 1