Question about older Tomix switches...

Mister Gee

Mister Gee

I've got a couple of older Tomix switches, as well as a crossover switch. It's my understanding that they are made to run on AC if they're wired as opposed to DC on the newer ones. Aside from that, are there any issues of compatibility with newer Tomix track? I was able to get some of the older System Up sets A-D so it would be nice to get use out of them. Thanks for any help.

John

s-l1600.jpg

brill27mcb

The older brown track can be connected to the newer Fine Track. The biggest "incompatibility" is that one has brown roadbed and the other has grey. The tapered prongs on the brown roadbed do not have the click-together feature that the Fine Track prongs have, so the track pieces staying connected depends entirely on the friction of the tapered prongs and the metal rail joiners.

With the A, B, C and D sets you have the makings right there for a pretty good layout. The set boxes or instructions show possible layout configurations, don't they?

Rich K.

• Like 1
Mister Gee
On 6/26/2024 at 3:59 PM, brill27mcb said:

With the A, B, C and D sets you have the makings right there for a pretty good layout. The set boxes or instructions show possible layout configurations, don't they?

Rich K.

Thanks for that Rich - yes they give you some layout suggestions in the accompanying booklet. I've got another book of layouts using Tomix track and I'm gonna need more. I've been looking at eBay for more of the brown track, but people love to think they've got some kind of gold on their hands. I'll probably wind up ordering newer track and hence my question.

John

lol, so true, I see bundles of even used Unitrak being offered at 2x retail saying it’s rare Japanese track!

jeff

• Haha 2
brill27mcb

Yes, the newer track actually works better, because the roadbed pieces click securely together. I have a loop of brown track that came in an old Tomix "Thomas the Tank Engine" set. As you run trains around, the motion tends to cause the track pieces to start to separate and create gaps in the railhead. The newer track switches (points) are also much better than the older ones. Better to go with the newer Fine Point stuff moving forward, but you can still enjoy using the older style.

Rich K.