New Hydrogen HYBARI FV-E991

Wow, they really are hoping hydrogen becomes a thing, aren't they? I thought that maybe even Toyota had given up.

Tony Galiani

Saw a bunch of Toyota Mirai taxis on my April trip to Paris .  Out of curiosity, I checked when I got back to the US and they are still available for sale though not particularly cheap.  Don't know enough to comment on how efficient or effective hydrogen vehicles are or if they would ever become popular.  We have two hybrids now and those are a good option for our driving.

Cheers,

Tony

The issue for cars is filling stations. I read that some people in the US were demanding buy-backs from Toyota because the infrastructure wasn't going in like they had been promised. Of course electricity for EVs is everywhere already.

I saw a great demonstration system like 20 years back when hydrogen was getting touted. It was a carport that was all solar panels and a small electrolytic cracking unit, compressor and h2 tank. Idea was to use h2 as batteries and all day long your carport would be making h2 for use in your car or home later when home or for driving. Problem at the time was the high cost of solar panels and good and cheap catalytic units for electrolysis and fuel cells. Als mechanical compressor.

Also it’s been a nagging thing to get folks over h2 exploding, they just think Hindenburg all the time and hard to convince them elsewise. I saw a demonstration of an armor piercing incendiary bullet into a car tank with gas and a h2 car tank full of h2. The gas gave a nice Hindenburg explosion and huge flame ball brining everything around it, the h2 tank just had a small flame jet coming out the hole in the tank, it didn’t explode. Dramtic.

jeff

I think in the end we will only use hydrogen where energy per kilogram is a really big issue, like aircraft. For everything else, batteries are getting so cheap so fast that hydrogen just won't be able to compete. For the road warriors Nio has battery swap stations in a few countries now, 6 minutes start to finish, although even conventional charging is now so fast that it's beyond what most humans can tolerate in terms of needing comfort breaks.

Japan is unfortunately not doing so well with EVs. Most Japanese manufacturers were late to the game, and most of the charging infrastructure is 50kW only. Europe has 400kW chargers, with megawatt range ones for special applications. On the plus side, many people do have somewhere to park a car at home for charging. I'd like to rent an EV, but I've had trouble finding out what the situation is with paying for charging. Are they still using RFID cards, or can you use an IC card or a credit card? Or are they still operating them for free like much of Europe did in the early days?