DCC Wiring for FineTrack 2-Track Loop & Digitrax?

AznTaxEvAzn
Posted (edited)

Hi everyone! Completely new modeler here with some questions about DCC and FineTrack. My goal is to run DCC/sound equipped locomotives on a simple 2-track loop, with each loop independent of each other (no switches/turnouts/crossovers). I plan to use a Tomix track plan that combines several of the Canted Track starter sets as shown in the pic (sorry for the quality). 

I want to stress that this will be a temporary table setup. Think setup/teardown every weekend as I currently don’t have room for a permanent/semi-permanent layout. For my control system, I plan to use the Digitrax EVOX Evolution Express Advanced 5A/8A Duplex starter set (I’ll also use it for high-amp HO trains). When not running DCC/sound locomotives, I plan to run DC Shinkansens on the loops using Tomix power packs. 

Questions:

1.) How do I wire this setup from the Digitrax command station to both loops for DCC? 

2.) Is setup a matter of “plug and play”? If so, what accessories do I need? I’m assuming Tomix 5534 (DC feeder) won’t work given the item’s name. 

3.) Will I have to solder any wires to the track? I have 0 soldering experience and want to avoid doing so for now. 

4.) I may want to connect feeders at multiple locations on each loop to ensure uniform power distribution. I know Kato has Terminal Unijoiners and a 3-way hub to do this. Does Tomix have any similar items? How would I wire feeders to multiple points for this track plan? 

5.) Is there anything else I should be wary of using this setup? 

Many thanks in advance! 

IMG_3192.jpeg

Edited by AznTaxEvAzn
Typo
Kingmeow
Posted (edited)

I'm in the US and Fine Track pretty much doesn't exist but many of the questions you ask are independent of what type of tracks use.  I am a Digitrax user but again, it really doesn't matter which brand of DCC you use as the concept is the same.  Without further ado....

1.) How do I wire this setup from the Digitrax command station to both loops for DCC? 

No different than how you would wire it for DC.  If you have it wired for DC, remove your DC power pack and hook up the Digitrax.

2.) Is setup a matter of “plug and play”? If so, what accessories do I need? I’m assuming Tomix 5534 (DC feeder) won’t work given the item’s name.

I can't comment on this one as I don't know what Tomix accessories are.  But, like #1 above, if you have two wires going to your DC power pack, remove the two wires and hook them up to the back of your Digitrax.  It should be labeled RAIL A and RAIL B for track power.

3.) Will I have to solder any wires to the track? I have 0 soldering experience and want to avoid doing so for now.

For a temporary layout, no.  If your trains run fine on DC, then it should be fine for DCC.

4.) I may want to connect feeders at multiple locations on each loop to ensure uniform power distribution. I know Kato has Terminal Unijoiners and a 3-way hub to do this. Does Tomix have any similar items? How would I wire feeders to multiple points for this track plan?

I can't tell how big of a layout from your picture but it's it's relatively small you may not need feeders.  Again, hook it up with DC and if trains run fine, then you don't need feeders.  If you do need feeders I don't know what Tomix has to make this simple without soldering but the idea is to get all the feeders to one input to your command station.

5.) Is there anything else I should be wary of using this setup? 

Just have fun.  🙂

Edited by Kingmeow
  • Like 1
Madsing

I am using Tomix FineTrack with DCC.

I confirm that all Tomix DC Feeders also work with DCC. Tomix just calls them DC because DCC is not popular in Japan, but they have no other function than connecting the wires to the two rails and they will work with DC and DCC.

Marc

• Like 1
AznTaxEvAzn

Kingmeow, thanks for the reply and info! I’m also in the US and the layout dimensions are ~8’x4’. I’m hoping there’s some kind of wire hub Tomix makes (doubtful) that can connect all the feeders if I do end up needing them. 

Madsing, thanks as well! Relieved to see that the DC feeder works. Do you know if Tomix makes any kind of wire hub like Kato’s to connect multiple feeders? I’m thinking of wiring things up as shown in this pic. The wire hub is in green and here’s a pic of Kato’s 3-way hub. 

IMG_3194.png

IMG_3195.jpeg

brill27mcb
Posted (edited)

On a layout this size, you should not need more than two track feeders on each loop. The more serious voltage drops will happen at the track switches (aka turnouts, points). You can probably get by with a single feeder on each loop, if you locate them halfway around the track from the track switches and passing sidings. (Put them on the outer pair of tracks in the upper left corner of your plan.) But I'm used to DC, and realize that DCC pundits often recommend heavier-duty track wiring to maintain DCC signal clarity.

The Tomix 5534 "DC Feeder" is really just a "track feeder" (just two wires with connectors at each end) that lets you avoid soldering, or stripping wire and using screwdrivers. It's plug-and-play:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10009865

Tomix does not make a 3-way extension cord like Kato does; instead, it sells a "Y"-shaped 5812 branching extension cable:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10010012

To stay plug-and-play, you can also use the Tomix 5813 plain track feeder extension cable to make your track feeds long enough to get to the back corners of your layout:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10010013

So, if you want or find (by trains slowing visibly or misbehaving on DCC) that you need to add a second track feeder to each loop, you will need a 5812 "Y" cable for each loop. If you then want to switch between 2 separate DC power packs and a single DCC system for both tracks, get a third Tomix 5812 "Y" cable to connect from your DCC system to both tracks. Any additional track feeder you want or need will require another 5812.

Your DCC system will not have a Tomix-style connector, so get a 5812 extension cable for the purpose of cutting off the connector at the power pack end, peeling the two wires of the cable apart at that end, and stripping the wire ends to attach to the DCC supply. Your DCC system will not come Tomix-compatible plug-and-play, but by making this separate modified cable, you will be making it plug-and-play. You can then either plug the feeder for each track loop into its own Tomix power pack, or to a branch of the "Y" connector now dangling off of your DCC system. No soldering needed...

In terms of "anything else to be wary of," realize that the Tomix track switches have a built-in "complete power routing" feature which turns off power on both rails of the branch the track switch is *not* set to. With DC operation, that lets you store a loco or train easily by simply putting it into a siding and then throwing the track switch the other way - no insulated joiners or on/off wiring required. On DCC, though, the train in the siding will lose contact with the DCC control, and its lights will go out and the decoder may reset to defaults (direction, etc.).

You may find the Tomix info website link below my signature useful to learn more about the Tomix system.

Unless you are in Japan, your local hobby shop will probably not carry Tomix products. But these days it's very easy to buy over the internet from Japan. Both Hobby Search Japan https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/ and Plaza Japan https://www.plazajapan.com/model-train/n-scale/ (PJ is on Ebay, too) are two popular places that sell these items at discount prices through English websites that cater to overseas sales. International shipping is more expensive post-COVID, so plan out a larger order so you can spread the shipping costs over more items. International delivery is not Amazon-fast, but probably faster than you might expect.

Rich K.

Edited by brill27mcb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
AznTaxEvAzn

brill27mcb, thank you very much for the highly detailed and informative reply along with the links. I have a much clearer understanding of how I need to set things up now and you’ve answered questions that I didn’t even think about until now. Good to know about the switch’s built-in feature for future reference when I decide to add them. I’ll definitely start shopping for supplies soon. Much appreciated! 

chadbag

The good thing is, once you've digested the above advice and gotten it to work.  Your future questions may already be solved as you'll have the experience to think it through and come up with the answers.  

I'm not saying that you shouldn't ask for help if you get stuck.  By all means do.  I'm just saying that once these simple questions are answered and you've figured out and understand those answers, your future questions may be able to be answered by you through your experience.   Track wiring for simple stuff is not hard and once you've done one or two you should be able to think it through...