A hotel in Tokyo

Posted (edited)

If you’re a rail fan looking for a hotel to stay in Tokyo, consider the JR Hotel Metropolitan Marunouchi. The hotel sits above the Tokyo Station, convenient if arriving to /departing from NRT or Haneda, and if you ask for one of the Station View rooms, you’ll be able to watch the various Shinkansens (Tokaido, Joetsu, Hokuriku, Yamagata, Tohoku, Akita) and local trains (Yamanote, Chuo…) come and go… day and night. If you find this to be entertaining, you may never leave your room!  Bonus: a neat n gage layout in the lobby.

View from our 34th floor room

IMG_0081.thumb.jpg.6637509d418a13dd387984aae75ada78.jpg

Edited by Mutro
  • Like 8
Tony Galiani

Now that's a room with a view!  I had stayed at the JR Hotel in Hokodate and it turned out to be pretty nice.  I would definitely consider JR Hotels for future trips.  And I guess they also have some trained themed items - the one in Hakodate did not have a train layout but had various train memorabilia in the lobby and in the viewing lounge on the top floor.

Tony

Posted (edited)

Thanks. Good to know about JR Inn Hakodate as I’ll be staying there in a few days.  We’re currently staying in Kakunodate in a restored historic building Wanoi, a collaboration between JR East and local communities. All over Japan, too many of these vintage buildings are left vacant, abandoned, demolished.  Kudos to JR East for supporting local economy and preserving historical places of interest.

https://familio-folkloro.com/wa-no-i/kakunodate/

Edited by Mutro
Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 7:43 PM, mojo said:

What a great view. Do the windows open?

Unfortunately, windows do not open in this 34th floor room so you may get reflections in photos out the window.  Operable windows in high rises are typically prohibited or severely limited in opening for safety concerns as well as for HVAC controls.

Edited by Mutro
  • Like 1
Tony Galiani

@Mutro You can look at my reports of my February trip for some views from the JR hotel in Hakodate.  We lucked out and got a room overlooking the station tracks.  That is a north (more or less) view.  Rooms on the opposite south side have views of Mount Hakodate.

Ciao,

Tony

JR East

the Villa Fontaine Shiodome is also great for the view. 

• Like 1

Ciao @Tony Galiani, I checked into the JR Inn Hakodate today and to my disappointment I was assigned the opposite view from the station.  From the 12th floor onsen overlooking the station, I can see that the station side is much more to my liking. 

IMG_1002.jpeg

Tony Galiani

That is disappointing.  Though, if they still do weekend fireworks, you would have a great view of them.  Hope you enjoy your time there. 

Ciao,

Tony

ShaunField

For a great budget business hotel with excellent views, I recommend Hotel City View Tabata. Has views of train lines from every room and the dining room is right at Shinkansen level. Only issue is there is there isn't step-free access from Tabata station, so it's not a good location if you can't carry your luggage up stairs.

DSC_0001.jpg