Kato 20-222 Y-Point (Wye) Question

RS18U

Posted (edited)

Did a search and found some posts re the issue with the points, but not for my specific question.

On our trip to Japan in March we went to Obi (highly recommended by the way, a nice day trip from Miyazaki).  Its on the Nichinan Line which is single track at this point, but at Obi it splits into 2 for a centre platform before going back to single line.  The switches appear to be of the 'Y' configuration.  See the attached photos.

I would like to replicate this and was thinking the Kato 20-222 would fit the bill.  Does anyone see any issues with this, and if so what would other options be.

If the 20-222 would work, what would the correct track pieces be to get the space needed for the platform?  Does the R249-15 on each track give the right spacing (see Kato schematic attached) or would I need something else?

And one more, can Kato turnouts be converted to spring switches?  I am thinking in N scale the trains would be too light to reliably get through the spring points (not mention the issues with wiring) but interested to hear others thoughts.

From the Kato web site.  I like how short the Y makes the station layout.

Kato 20-222 Y Plan.jpg

Approach

Obi Station Approach.jpg

Google Earth image of the track layout.  Mine would be straight like the Kato schematic, not on a curve like this.

Obi Station Track Layout.JPG

Edited by RS18U
Added photo captions.
katoftw

What spacing are you hoping for?  You dont mention your end goal.

If you use R249, you'll need to use one sided platforms on the outside.  If you use the R481, you can put a island platform in the middle, (much like most of the Nichinan line).

I am pretty sure you can leave the blades in normal position and run a train through the points like a spring set of turnouts.  And yes in DC, there will be limitations.

27 minutes ago, katoftw said:

What spacing are you hoping for?  You dont mention your end goal.

Oops, sorry.  Yes, I want to have a centre island between the 2 tracks, so its looks like using an R481 will get me to my end goal.  Thanks!

Tony Galiani

If you happen to have the 50 track plan book, layout 7 uses this arrangement and the drawing with the track plan shows the center island.  This version has one siding going off the loop as well.  If you want a picture of the track list and the layout drawing, I think I could send you one.  (Thinking that would be okay since it is for non-commercial purposes.  Moderators - please advise if that is not okay.)

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Tony Galiani said:

If you happen to have the 50 track plan book, layout 7 uses this arrangement and the drawing with the track plan shows the center island.  This version has one siding going off the loop as well.  If you want a picture of the track list and the layout drawing, I think I could send you one.  (Thinking that would be okay since it is for non-commercial purposes.  Moderators - please advise if that is not okay.)

Cheers,

Tony

Tony thank you so much for the offer, I don't have the 50 track plan book so this would be most useful.  Hopefully the moderators are OK with it but I will understand if they aren't.

Tony Galiani

Here you go.  I am having a quiet day at work (since I was on call Saturday and worked Sunday) so taking some time to check the Forum.  Survived a surprise visit from friends from Ottawa on Saturday and our Commencement Program on Sunday - awful speech, student demonstrations, general craziness - which cut into my planned modelling time.  Last night I was poring through some of my Japanese layout books since I was too tired to do any actual layout work when I ran across this after seeing your post.  Hope this is helpful.  If you want more info from the page on this layout plan, just let me know.

Cheers,

Tony

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

• Like 4