Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways

JR East

JR East
Posted (edited)

Hi, 

I'm sharing with you my journey to UK, rsp. Manchester, Portmeirion and Porthmadog. 

The aim of this travel was to discover the fabulous Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways as well as Portmeirion where the TV serie "The Prisoner" (I'm totally fan of) was done in 1968. 

First of all, I've released today my train trip from Manchester Airport to Minffordd where the courtesy shuttle brings you to the "Village"

I recommend to click on "You tube" as videos are in HQ & 4K 

Edited by JR East
cteno4

Oh man the prisoner, a childhood favorite! How was the visit to Portmeirion? Is it full of tourists or still quaint? Does the bubble chase all the tourists out of town at 5pm?

jeff

JR East
On 5/10/2024 at 10:38 PM, cteno4 said:

Oh man the prisoner, a childhood favorite! How was the visit to Portmeirion? Is it full of tourists or still quaint? Does the bubble chase all the tourists out of town at 5pm?

jeff

Hi @cteno4

Portmeirion is really a nice place to rest. I've spent two days in the Village, at night ...

P3316364_VI_Forum.thumb.jpg.ec25b0731769c554385a3a79cd25e914.jpg

P3316359_VI_Forum.thumb.jpg.e386a8ad8a731db2366ba37abf862303.jpg

and at day of course. 

P4016523.thumb.JPG.68669fb182ee8e3e4ee3456c4d67544e.JPG

P4016491.thumb.JPG.566335880adb2f7892addfbc378a5190.JPG

P4016453.thumb.JPG.bae86945d252ddcc4bd43081b341d7b7.JPG

P4016400.thumb.JPG.4154a450c65cd25e8d81d64824d4f302.JPG

P4016398.thumb.JPG.68d2802b3168d9a7117373645435df78.JPG

"Be seiing you!"

It's really a great place. I was sitting in the hotel just beside le "fake boat" : "Les amis réunis". 

JM. 

JR East
Posted (edited)

Let's have a walk to the marvelous FFestiniog & Welsh Railways (I recommend to click "watch on you tube" as the major part is in 4K 

Enjoy !

Edited by JR East
  • Like 1
cteno4

Wow that’s great you stayed a couple of days at Portmeirion! Doesn’t look like tons of crowds. Were a lot of folks prisoner fans or is that now more forgotten?

did you get to play a game of chess? No bubble sighting chasing anyone down the beach?

now I have to go find some prisoner episodes to watch! Danger man (along with Peter Gunn) is on a couple of times a week here and I DVR them all the time to watch.

jeff

JR East

To answer your questions @cteno4, there is an annual prisoners' fans convention otherwise, people are visiting the village but it's not forgotten.

The next convention is already announced : https://sixofone.co/convention. you must be members of the Six of One. 

To be more precise - as you can read there : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmeirion - Sir Clough Williams-Ellis, Portmeirion's architect was not in favour or turning the Village into a Prisoner's Disneyland. Antway, there are visitors. But as this Village is far away form everything, as you need more than 6 hours by train to go there ... it's calm & relax. 

Playing chess was not authorized whilst I was there (as they were growing grass around). The balloon is called "Rover" in English and "Le Rôdeur" in French.

You can easily find the whole serie in French or English on Youtbe for free.

• Like 1
brill27mcb
14 hours ago, JR East said:

[...]

To be more precise - as you can read there : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmeirion - Sir Clough Williams-Ellis, Portmeirion's architect was not in favour or turning the Village into a Prisoner's Disneyland.

[...]

Well, now we know who No. 1 is  --  a charitable trust...

Rich K.