What is the N Scale of 24 in(610 mm) Gauge!?

Kowloon Canton Railway

Kowloon Canton Railway
Posted (edited)

Hi, how are you? Hope all is well.

I am not a railway modeller, but I have a desire to build a diorama of the Sha Tau Kok Branch Line(Kowloon-Canton Railway). The gauge was 24 in(610 mm). It opened in 1911, and closed in 1928. The passenger service was hauled by two W. G. Bagnall 0-4-4T steam locomotives, and the passenger cars were the flatcars being used for the freight service. Passengers were constantly exposed to the elements. Unfortunately I could not find any details about the freight service. Legends said documents were either destroyed or lost during the Battle of Hong Kong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sha_Tau_Kok_Branch

I sincerely ask everyone for your generosity to help me putting this puzzle together with your years of expertise in model railroading!!

Q1: What is the scale, or gauge, should I use to build this 24 in(610 mm) gauge branch line, so it will matches with the 4 ft 8+1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) gauge of the main line(N scale)?

Q2: Is it really difficult to purchase, layout, and build the tracks, and parts of the above scale, or gauge in the U.S.?

Q3: Is there any manufacturer sells W. G. Bagnall 0-4-4T steam locomotives in the above scale or gauge?

Q4: If not, then is it possible to purchase 0-4-4 chassis in the above scale or gauge, and then 3D-print (Resin? Filament?) the shell?

Q5: For the typical choice of 24 in(610 mm) gauge flatcars of that specific complex period (just 3 years before WWI), who do you think could be the builder(British? German? or American?), and what could be the possible length?

Thank you so much for reading my post, and I am looking forward for your insightful answers and comments!!

Edited by Kowloon Canton Railway
  • Like 1
  • Kowloon Canton Railway changed the title to What is the N Scale of 24 in(610 mm) Gauge!?
katoftw
Posted (edited)

Building it in N scale is probably where you will come undone.

00-9, HOn30, HOm, HOn, HOj, HOn3.5 etc already exist. Some of these are already well supported with track variations. 00-9 and HOn30 I think is probably best for what you wanna do.

Google a few and see what works for you.

Edited by katoftw
cteno4

Well since it’s a diorama and not a functional running train in the scene you can probably regauge the car wheels, but regauging a steam loco will be a bit of a challenge grinding down the inner chassis for narrow gauge, but if non functional a bit easier as it doesn’t have to work! I would guess the n scale of the cars and loco you use would set what modeling scale you will use (1/148 British, 1/150 Japanese, or 1/160 us and Europe).

Q1: What is the scale, or gauge, should I use to build this 24 in(610 mm) gauge branch line, so it will matches with the 4 ft 8+1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) gauge of the main line(N scale)?

scale for the buildings would be based in the scale of your loco and cars you end up using. 

the gauge would be 4mm

Q2: Is it really difficult to purchase, layout, and build the tracks, and parts of the above scale, or gauge in the U.S.?

no commercial 4mm gauge track out there I think. You would need to hand lay ties and rails using I’m guessing like code 40 z gauge rail

Q3: Is there any manufacturer sells W. G. Bagnall 0-4-4T steam locomotives in the above scale or gauge?

dont know, have you done some internet searches yet?

Q4: If not, then is it possible to purchase 0-4-4 chassis in the above scale or gauge, and then 3D-print (Resin? Filament?) the shell?

maybe you need to do some searching. Lots of odd stuff on shapeways.

Q5: For the typical choice of 24 in(610 mm) gauge flatcars of that specific complex period (just 3 years before WWI), who do you think could be the builder(British? German? or American?), and what could be the possible length?

dont kniw this one

jeff

• Like 1