Tomix 1247 - Lose power when crossing

kenjidm

kenjidm
Posted (edited)

Sorry for the newbie question.  Might be dumb for you guys but I can’t wrap my head around it.  

I am trying to hook up a tomix 1247 and my train loses power when it tries to crossover.  I have 2 Tomix 5532 switch that hooked up to my controller and both ends of the Tomix 1247 plugged into one of each switch.  The DC power i am using a Y adapter from my controller to hook up power on both sides on the track.  Please help.  I show a picture of my train stuck at the crossover.

Second question - what are these items pictured that came with the track used for??  Last picture shown

IMG_0671.jpeg

IMG_0672.jpeg

IMG_0673.jpeg

Edited by kenjidm
katoftw
Posted (edited)

I'm gonna say feeder location is the issue, and that you are using one throttle.

Those double cross-overs have a break in the track. So one sides power has to come from that side.  If you have track 1.5-2.0m from the feeder, then you begin to lose power.

Edited by katoftw
cteno4

Ken,

normally when you have a double track loop as you appear to have you have each loop hooked to separate controllers. Then you need feeders from each throttle on each side of the double crossover on each loop to each throttle to keep feeding power all the way around each loop from each throttle.

do you only have one throttle?

jeff

kenjidm
Posted (edited)

I actually do have another controller…my kid is asleep and it’s built in his room (he’s learning with me).  I can try to hook up a separate controller to each track loop.  But from what i gather, i need to have the feeder on the crossover track or just on each separate loop to give power to both tracks.  Does the Y adapter lose power on the tracks?

Edited by kenjidm
Beaver
8 hours ago, kenjidm said:

Second question - what are these items pictured that came with the track used for??  Last picture shown

IMG_0673.jpeg

The black things on the sprues are non working scale models of the remote controlled motors used to operate the points on most modern Japanese railways. Since you appear to have modern trains these would be appropriate to fit.

The grey and black things are sleeper and ballast base extensions to mount the model motors onto. The sticking out hook things clip into a couple of small apertures on the side of the points next to the tiebar. Since a scissors crossing is made up of four points you logically need four motors, one next to each of the four tiebars. There should therefore be four apertures to attach them.

However these cosmetic attachments can be quite vulnerable to damage if the track is used in temporary layouts. That is why they are supplied as separate parts. If you intend to continue running trains on the floor then it is probably best not to fit them as they will likely get broken. If the track is attached to a baseboard they will be fine, and create a much more realistic appearance.

cteno4

Yes, the best is to hook one throttle to each loop. If it’s a compete loop with just one crossover in it then you can just put a single feeder from a throttle to a loop and that should do it. You can use the Y adapter to feed a loop in two places across the loop from each other to make sure you don’t get any power drops if the loop is longer. Rule of thumb usually is about a feeder ever 2 or 3m.

once separate throttles are hooked to their own loops you can run two trains, one on each loop with their own throttles. 

when you go to using the crossover you need to make sure both throttles are set to the same direction, then run the train thru the crossover with both throttles set to about the same speed. You may see it speed up for a second while it crossover as for a moment you will get voltage from both throttles and why you should not run the train thru the crossover really fast.

the crossover track in the center is isolated to each track on the outside does not short out with the opposite track whe it’s switched to the crossover position.

Does this make sense?

jeff

kenjidm
Posted (edited)

Everyone is awesome.  I got it to work and am making sure that when the trains hit the crossover that it’s a slower speed.  My son is running 2 trains and is having fun making sure they don’t crash into each other as they crossover.  Thanks again everyone for all the inputs……It is a temporary tracks so not using the cosmetic attachments

Interesting - my JR line train runs faster than my Shinkansen N700. 

Edited by kenjidm
cteno4

It’s a tempting Gomez Addams situation!

glad your son is having fun running with 2 throttles! 

jeff