GreenMax JR 103 Series and Tomix 0381/0382 Couplers

bc6

I would like to swap out the Rapido couplers on my GM cars with Tomix 0381/0382 couplers. 

I've tried to insert a completed coupler with the square piece on the coupler and it doesn't fit into the bogie. 

Of course, without the square piece it fits but is a bit floppy, Is it ok to use it without the square piece? 

Is the TOMIX 0381/0382 the best route to go or is there a better alternative?

EDIT: I've added pics of the assembled coupler and the "square" piece.

After searching the internet for assistance there was a video that touched on the installation of the TOMIIX 0381/0382 couplers. I've formulated my own assembly method which I've linked on my blog due to the number of pictures.

https://n-scalerailroading.blogspot.com/2024/04/greenmax-jr-103-series-and-tomix.html 

Edited by bc6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • bc6 changed the title to GreenMax JR 103 Series and Tomix 0381/0382 Couplers

I had these couplers on hand and wanted a challenge since there was no clearly documented way to assemble the TOMIX 0381/0382.

I'm curious which body mounted coupler option would you have used?

Posted (edited)

There are no option in the instruction booklet for body mount options.

Edited by bc6

I just noticed my new greemax 50745 Kintetsu Series 19200 Sightseeing Limited Express `Aoniyoshi` did not have any mention of the tn couplers to use even though it looks like the proper mounting holes are there. But I do seem to remember earlier gm sets having the recommended tn couplers in the instructions.

jeff