Hiroshima Red Wing 'anti-fall plates'?

Hi all, something that I can't figure out is the purpose of these 'anti-fall plates' that are on the front of the Hiroshima Red Wings, from which they get their nickname:

https://gethiroshima.com/news/red-wings-hiroshimas-first-new-trains-in-over-30-years/

What do they prevent from falling? I just can't find an answer and its driving me nuts 😅 especially as I have a Kato set. It would make sense if they were in the gap between joined cars but from what I can see they are only on the very front and rear of the trains. ?

Ah OK, so when two entire sets are joined? That would make sense as they aren't present where the cars within the sets are joined, and there isnt the same size gap.

Yes, that's it. Between cars in the same set there is a vertical metal mount with a rubber strip, but the gap to cover is smaller.

• Like 1

This thumbnail or short video of 225 and 223 joined together may better illustrate.

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 3

Thanks! The commuter trains here in Perth have no such guards and have a large gap. Every consist has this gap in the middle too 😬

JR East opted for soothing blue lighting on platforms to reduce “jumpers” although many main hubs have platform gates too. Also stops chancers trying to make the leaving train and delaying everyone, adding to the driver’s time-keeping stress. 

chadbag

Yeah I think I first saw them on the Red Wing but last time we were in Osaka most of the 225/223 multi set pairings had them and the singles often did too IIRC -- proabbly to facilitate pairing.  They were new from when we had been there before.

• Like 1

If i recall correctly they were introduced specifically after a string of incidents late at night where drunk salarymen would trip and fall neatly between two coupled sets...

I finally attached them regardless of purpose. Thank heavens for a nice magnifying lamp.

IMG_8067.JPG

• Like 1
katoftw

I put the smal/short version on one end in case I want to couple them up to a other unit.

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

FWIW the purpose of the wings was to prevent the partially blind from falling into the gap between the train sets.  Still able to see shadows and light, these individuals mistook the gap as an open door, and thus fell through or at least collided with the end.  As a stopgap before fitting all trains with these wings, JR West left the headlights turned on driving trailers coupled face to face to warn these individuals.  As for the inebriated (not just salarymen, as women and college students etc. also drink), JR West rotated platform benches to face away from the platform edge- i.e. now along the length of the platform, so the staggering occurs safely away from any arriving train and any possible collision or fall on the tracks.

• Like 4