System Up Rail Sets

Mister Gee

Mister Gee

Alrighty - I've snagged a set of Tomix System Up Rail Sets A through D. They're on the way to me and I was wondering if anyone knew of any sources for track plans? I've got AnyRail but I was looking for inspiration for designs. I'll export some of my ideas and put them here for critique. I just wanted to see some alternatives that I might be able to incorporate into a fresh track plan.

John

John,

im pretty sure there are some track plans up on the Tomytec/Tomix website somewhere but I can’t find the link, maybe someone else has them Andy. Tomix has also put out a few small layout books

this the best layout book I’ve ever seen, very interesting uses of space and getting a lot in a small space without being too busy. Many ideas to mix and match. The plans alternate between Kato and Tomix track to get you thinking on how to translate between the two geometries and pieces available. The perspective sketches are fantastic to help you visualize ideas track plans from 2d. It’s important as track planning is this flip flop from 2d to 3d all the time. There are some of these track plan sets up as kindles, but buying them outside of Japan is some work. Niki is not cheap as a bit out of print now, but I so love flipping through it for ideas.

There are some plans on Kato’s site that can give some general ideas to be translated to Tomix

https://katousa.com/n-track-plan-examples

https://www.katomodels.com/unitrackplan/index

jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Mister Gee

Thanks very much Jeff - believe it or not the Mrs wants progress once I have materials in hand. I came home from Tokyo with a ton of trains but not much track and she doesn't want it collecting dust in the corner.

John

• Haha 1
brill27mcb

These track sets are designed to create systematically expanded layouts of given designs. Aren't there layout plans on the boxes themselves, or am I remembering wrong?

Rich K.

• Thanks 1

I think you are right Rich. I also seem to also remeber a booklet of how the sets can be intermixed into some different plans. 

jeff

• Thanks 1
Mister Gee

Wow - thanks for all of the responses! I'll post up more after the track sets arrive.

John

Mister Gee

I've attached an image of the first layout plan using the components in the four sets. I've also got the Engine Shed Rail Set that I bought in Tokyo. 

John

Japan 2.jpg

• Like 2
Mister Gee

A follow-up to the OP. I've received the track sets and they're all still in the original packaging, tape still in place over the tracks. Everything looks brand new and I've looked over one of the books that comes with the sets but it's slow going using Google Translate to look at one page at a time. Still, I'm excited to come up with a viable track plan - I'll be delighted to get everything to fit well and run. I will update as events develop. Thanks for all of the input!

John

Mister Gee
Posted (edited)

I've refined my initial plan and got everything connected. I'd like to have at least one more siding in that loop on the left for an industry. The yard in the right loop is the engine yard from Tomix. Ideally I'd like that double track area at the top to be an elevated station, so I'm trying to figure out what I'd need. That elevated track on the left side is just an idea to use up the pieces in the sets. I hope this is the correct area to brainstorm on track plans. Please let me know if I need to move it. 

John

Japan 2.jpg

Edited by Mister Gee
  • Like 1
On 4/9/2024 at 9:12 AM, katoftw said:

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/nyumon/tomixrail-develop.html#mikata

Back of the boxes

There has been booklets before

Tomix website has plans also.

I don't think I've seen that Rail Depot advisory track plan before. Yes I own the rail depot set, but it's recommended starter oval is the first design ie the A+B oval plus the depot, the "buy these three box sets and pick up these 3 blister packs/hanger box" is new to me, unless I've missed it in the instruction sheet.

How has your track plan progressing? I also went all in on Tomix track rail sets as well as all the track I could find. I have the recommended abcd layout but wanting more. 

Mister Gee
Posted (edited)
On 6/19/2024 at 10:45 AM, ao924 said:

How has your track plan progressing? I also went all in on Tomix track rail sets as well as all the track I could find. I have the recommended abcd layout but wanting more. 

Well, since I started planning a layout we've decided to move, so I am starting all over again in a smaller space. I've picked up the book "N Gauge Layout Collection" by Kunihiko Ikeda - it's a terrific book and worth the money. Half of the 50 layouts are made exclusively with Tomix track (the other half are Kato track). Once I decide on one of them (and finish moving) I'll post more.

John

9784774183039_1024x1024@2x.jpg.de28bca29fd14a5e369a8b0ababcdab7.jpg

Edited by Mister Gee
  • Like 3