A quick, cheap and easy method of making your own foliage material

I recently stumbled over this video https://youtu.be/Io4jKMWwvgQ?si=4EA3EZgC_cNcQxvc that shows how to make your own foliage material out of sponges using a  coffee grinder. The 3000 yen coffee grinder arrived today and was an immeadiate success.

v7_8eLBr.thumb.jpg.8bc48a6fd52a2921d30d87c6ebad5428.jpg

Some foliage material from Busch left and middle and some stuff I just made to the right.

The coffee grinder investment will easily pay off as sponges are a lot cheaper to buy than foliage material, but I think the biggest advantage might lie in that I won't any longer be limited to the colours available from manufacturers. I can put in whatever paint mix I want into the grinder, and If I'm not quite happy with the result, I just put in some more paint and press the grind button for a few more seconds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I made some ground foams a long time back like this. Trick was finding the right foam to give good effect, some just clumped with the paint too much. Auto seat foam was the king! Nice to see those cheap sponges work well. Yes cheap coffee grinder is your friend. Also small spice grinder is nice as it’s good at making very fine stuff and in small amounts (you can get tiny usb rechargeable ones now to do micro bits.

need to go back and play more with this.

scrub pads are great for a base. Tea plantations as well.

jeff