How concerned are you about a model being refreshed/buying an old tooling train?

theminer3746

I am thinking about buying an E7 Shinkansen from Kato (Kato because I want an option to upgrade to DCC in the future).

However, the current model of the E7 is 10-1221 first produced in 2014 and last re-produce in 2022/09.

Since the tooling is almost 10 years old now, is it possible that we’ll get a refresh with new part numbers?

After all, Tomix just released their refresh of the E7 last month.

Or perhaps I shouldn’t worry too much because the changes won’t be that noticeable?

I would like to hear your opinion on this.

Thanks!

I personally wouldn't worry. My downward limit is 2005/2006 as it's about the moment lightboards with LEDs were introduced in all models. The main/only difference between production runs from the teens and now is that Kato and Tomix introduced new motors. But their older motors were very good and you wouldn't really feel the difference between the old and new motors. With Kato, it's also something you could also easily upgrade afterwards, by buying the relevant assy part.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, theminer3746 said:

(Kato because I want an option to upgrade to DCC in the future).

Forum search reveals tho, the E7 is a Bi***ch to get the decoder in. Never converted one myself, but seems the space is REALLY tight measured.

As Kato did a LOT of Shinkansen reruns this year, AND Tomix just did the E7 as well, wouldnt wonder if the E7 is on the horizon for a rerun as well. Although knowing Kato (and their 500 Series Re-run) they really dont change anything AT ALL in a re-run (except afformentioned motor), so expect the conversion to be the same pain as 2014.

• Like 2