Iori Koubou rolling stock kits

ED75-775

I got another Hobbysearch 'we have stuff you might like' email in my inbox tonight and Iori Koubou are re-running a few kits of Meiji-period four-wheel coaches and some goods stock. Which has got me wondering: has anyone here actually tried building an Iori Koubou kit, not just specifically any rolling stock but any Iori Koubou kit?

I happen to love early railways, in fact my Masters thesis at the University of Canterbury was on New Zealand's first steam-powered railway, the Canterbury Provincial Railways, from their inception in 1851 through to the demise of New Zealand's Provincial government system in 1876. I've ogled the little World Kogei 160-class 2-4-0T tank locomotive for a little while, even before I got to Meiji-Mura earlier this year, and one day I'd like to get one and put a train of early four-wheelers behind it, just as a comparison to my Showa-era steam and to scratch that early railways itch.

I've already got the first coach, FuHa 3109 for this project from Joshin Kids Land in Denden Town earlier this year, along with the necessary wheels and I think the couplers too. But before I think of cracking the plastic pouch open and trying to assemble anything though, I'd like some advice on whether or not it's something I could tackle myself as a complete and utter 'noob' or whether I'd be best at this time to farm it out to an established modeller who could build and paint the thing so I don't wreck it, and take on something easier instead to start with. Any advice gratefully accepted!

Alastair

I've been eyeing their kits for a while now and Hobbysearch seems to get a restock every 2-3 months or so.

I'd be interested too if anyone has any experience with their kits. I'm very new to kits so I'm hesitant to buy something that may be above my ability, but they have a bunch of older prototype stuff that's not in RTR like wooden coaches. I've been eying their Meiji-era Kyushu coaches especially, like this set: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10912503

Edited by Skasaha
typos
  • Like 1

Same! They do some interesting ISO tank container kits in HO. They only thing that has put me off is that the cylindrical sides of the tanks are paper and need rolling. End caps seem to be plastic to support holding the paper in shape. Their HO wagon kits look pretty nice and seem very well detailed for the money.

Obviously these are "paper" kits which evoke a feeling of flimsy-ness but look pretty sturdy as its thick card material.

Not sure what I can add to assist your build but parts look like they're well-lasered so a very sharp scalpel and I've heard a number of people swear by the Roket Card Glue from Deluxe materials although not used it myself.

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Kamome said:

Roket Card Glue from Deluxe materials

Ooohhh! Learn something new everyday! Looks interesting deluxe also makes a laser kit glue as well. And some other interesting glues… Damn now I have to try them, I’m a sucker for glues, ordering… deluxe makes tacky wax which I’ve liked using. 

jeff

I've just received a few of these. They're made of .47mm card stock for the most part. Won't be building anything for a few weeks though as it's report card writing time (I teach high school). Here are the paper parts included in the kit.

IMG_3921.thumb.jpeg.0528255ece928d9b3b2674ca2f8f348c.jpeg

Cheers,

Todd

• Like 4
1 hour ago, tossedman said:

I've just received a few of these. They're made of .47mm card stock for the most part. Won't be building anything for a few weeks though as it's report card writing time (I teach high school). Here are the paper parts included in the kit.

Cheers,

Todd

Oooh, looks nice Todd. Do let me know when you get around to assembling them how they go. Hearing experience from someone who's built one would be really helpful.

In the meantime, Hobbysearch has the 0.3mm brass wire needed for carriage handrails so that's going on the shopping list to join the Kobe/Hiroshima 1150-series trams, and I'll need to organize some Kato coupler pockets at some point too. IK does their own now, but you're paying ¥420 for four as opposed to ¥200 for 20 of the Kato ones, I think I know which way I'll go.

Alastair

• Like 1

New stock Monday, these just arrived to join FuHa 3109 in the ‘to-do’ pile:

6443E70F-7D02-4055-8F06-7F398EBE696A.thumb.jpeg.dd5479b56cdc64f88eb15f999da9e56f.jpeg

I’ve already opened HaFu 2688 to have a look at the instructions, they look deceptively straightforward to build. Famous last words...

Alastair

• Like 1
  • Haha 1