How do you store your Headmarks?

Steve

Hello fellow Japan-Railroaders,

how do you store your Headmarks, round ones for locos and those for 151/481/483/485 EMUs alike.

What storage do you use to protect them from dusk and getting lost?

Edited by Steve

In a small little box, with other spare parts, numberplates, couplings, etc. or in a tiny zip lock bag in a safe but accessible place.
Can't do without Headmarks for Japanese locomotives. 

I store mine in a small 100 yen store divided nail art type box. I stuck some self adhesive magnet tape to the base to stop the metal Kato headmarks flying around too much. There are still a few plastic ones that I have for some DD51s, a DF50 and an EF66 which have room to fly about.  I seem to have a lot spares for certain trains (Fuji, Twilight Express, Nihonkai, Hokutosei, Cassiopeia) as they tended to come with locos and coaches, yet a single for others as they tended to come with the coach sets or the locos but not both. (EF65 Orient Express, Odoriko, Seto/EF58 Orient Express, Kamome, Hato, Tsubame)

Its one of those things that if I ever lost, I could probably not easily replace and it would probably bum me out more than losing a piece of rolling stock.

My 20 series blue train coach marks I keep in a separate spares container along with other train marks such as the 181-100 series, Kiha 81/82 that have printed clear parts along with other spares for locos such as handrails, antenna and whistle/horns.  I use a larger nail art type box again from the 100 yen store. Nail art boxes work well as they have little to no gap between the compartments and lid. They are also usually divided into mainly small compartments which make them ideal for n scale parts.

IMG_1832.jpeg

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 2

It probably isn’t prototypical, but since all three of my Blue Train locomotives (EF66, EF81, and DD51) came with only two different ones each, I just stuck one on each end of the locomotives.  Hence, they wear them all the  time, even when hauling freight trains.  It is helpful, though, as I regularly run trains bidirectionally, I don’t have to physically move a headmark to the other end, even though it is for a different train.