The Nostalgic Railway Collection

MeTheSwede

I've picked up volume 2 of The Nostalgic Railway Collection. Since I don't remember any discussions about the Nostalgic Railway Collection here on the forum, I thought I should share my first impressions. The 4th volume is currently in preorder phase. I went for the diesel only volume 2. All the volumes share the same concept, you get a box filled with 10 smaller boxes with rolling stock of a Tomytec fictional railway company.

Instead of one of the 10 standard pieces of rolling stock, you might get a box with a "secret" suprise piece. I haven't researched what the secret rolling stock looks like and I just got the standard content. The price I paid was 12 350 yen.

sPaCTnOr.thumb.jpg.c3251611e83cf866b523c752e7797323.jpg

The models are static, but can be motorised with the driving unit TM-TR07. I paid 2 850 yen for that one. I also picked up a couple of TT-03R (price 950 yen) which is for trailing cars and contains metal wheels, proper couplers with springs and a metal weight (set for 2 cars in each package).

nTY-gPze.thumb.jpg.4760104433acf0834b52af32d3752174.jpg

This is what I got. 10 pieces of cute looking locomotives, DMU:s and passenger cars.

Inserting the motor unit was a quick and easy process once I had figured it out.

s-hHms8k.thumb.jpg.7c8c13e4d1bc38faed09444c6d0664a1.jpg

DMU:s on a 140mm radius curve (Finetrack mini curve). The TT-03R wasn't strictly necessary, the motorised locomotives had no problem pulling cars equiped with their out of the boxes plastic wheels and couplers. Coupling unupgraded rolling stock however was a bit fiddly and always requires the hand of god approach. Once the car had their couplings replaced by springloaded ones and the weight added (and I suppose less importantly, wheels changed) normal autocopling where you back the locomotive into the car became possible.

The product listing for the collection states that super mini curves (103mm radius) is not supported, but during my testing the trains quite happily motored along super mini curves. This means it's possible to build very small layouts, and I quickly set something up on an IKEA Billy bookshelf (260mm deep).

gNYij3pf.thumb.jpg.74d05b6c051669bb988d474f298007c9.jpg

I even found a use for my old hat!

yosPGLV5.thumb.jpg.20cf5e79e77b20976e0eb986df17dc41.jpg

Overall, I think I got quite a lot for my money spent.

• Like 2

Keep looking at these sideways to play with with mini onetrak, but keep slapping my hand to stop myself! 

very nice temp bookshelf layout!

jeff

• Like 1