Densha De Go Plug and Play 2 (Sanyo ED)

• Yugamu Tsuki changed the title to Densha De Go Plug and Play 2 (Sanyo ED)

This is typical to keep churning out these “Nostalgic” type products with little to no depth. Surely Taito have a wealth of back catalogue titles they could combine to offer a better product, especially at ¥20,000. It appears to be PS1/PS2 era graphics. Ironically, many of the used shops like Book off are swamped with older console generation Densha de Go gaming peripherals and software so you could actually replicate a better product with less money with free included nicotine staining. 

Irritatingly, Taito still haven’t seen fit to expand their most recent console offering from 2020, even with already produced content added to the arcade versions. 

Probably worth a punt for around ¥6000 but for nearly ¥20,000, you’re pushing your luck, Taito!! Maybe just better to have 200 goes at the arcade version down at the game centre. 

• Like 1

I brought the Nintendo version last year. Was fairly shallow with content and pretty boring. It didn't offer much track of the Yamanotoe line.

How do these plug and plays compare?

The Nintendo Switch version? I'm surprised, I actually thought that was a great game with a decent amount of content and it looks really good as well compared to the old games.

I may be wrong, but I believe these plug-and-play versions are based on older Densha de Go titles. Since this one boasts 720p graphics, I would guess this one is based on the updated-Wii version of a PS2 game called "Densha de Go! Shinkansen EX Sanyō Shinkansen-hen (電車でGO!新幹線EX 山陽新幹線編)". The last plug-and-play, was based on "Densha de Go Final (電車でGO! FINAL)" which was actually one of the best of the older DDG games in terms of content. I'm not an expert but the Shinkansen version is probably a bit more limited in terms of content just because it's shinkansen-only, but I'm sure people that prefer shinkansen or playing train simulators might enjoy it more since the driving experience is different to other types of trains.

I would love to get my hands on that controller alone, but wow, yeah, that's too expensive especially since I already have Zuiki's controller for for the Switch.

EDIT: Probably should have included this, originally, but you can see what routes and trains are included in each of the different game versions on the Japanese wiki page for DDG: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/電車でGO!#電車でGO!_新幹線_山陽新幹線編

Edited by arkh
  • Like 1
Yugamu Tsuki

Th original Plug and Play was indeed a good port of Final. It was worth it i feel because it had Yamanote, Osaka loop, Chuo (parts), and  Tokai (parts). They also had a conductor mode where you need to announce the correct stations as you get to them.

• Like 1

Yes, I don't have the Plug-and-Play but I've played Final on PC and it's definitely got a lot in it to keep you busy. I'm glad someone else also appreciated that there is a conductor mode, as well! I wish the most recent Densha De Go included a conductor mode of some sort. It's cool to have a way to enjoy the line while still having something game-y to do.

I have the first PnP and it's nice but it is missing some things like the station jingles and even the music horns for the trains that have them due to copyright reasons. Minor nitpick though. I don't see myself going for this new one unless it turns up cheap somewhere, supposedly the framerate isn't very good either...