9 minutes ago, Tony Galiani said:

Godzilla - the never ending story!  Where would the movie industry be without him?

Gojira is still holding onto 4th place in the franchise wars, but MCU is closing up fast.  Japan also holds #3 and #2 slots with Doraemon and 'Otoko wa Tsurai yo' well ahead.  But China takes the gold with Wong Fei-hung, currently at 123 films!

https://collider.com/longest-film-series-of-all-time/#39-wong-fei-hung-39-1949---2018---123-films

maihama eki

I'm team "Son of Godzilla". It was a favorite of the summer kiddie matinee along with the Ray Harryhausen classic "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad".

• Like 1

Just saw Minus One last night.  Anyone else seen it yet?  Thoughts, comments (spoiler free)?

It’s most definitely a must-see!

I could get behind going to see this (have not been much into the cinema lately despite my Cinemark club membership).  However they don't show any times past December 6 😞

Sorry I just can’t take the giant bloated goji with a tiny possum head and a blunt nose. The metamorphosis the last couple of decades just doesn’t feel right…

jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Article on BBC website about this movie.  Apparently made for a very low budget and it has so far made double that budget in sales.  Less explosions and chaos than previous iterations with a human interest aspect as well.  They cite its "humane hero" and simplified plot.

And trains are definitely destroyed - but don't think I am giving anything away with that statement!

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20231205-godzilla-minus-one-the-japanese-film-thats-2023s-best-action-blockbuster

Tony

Wow that was a treat! Nice the illustration has a more godzilla like head. The model looks like he’s got a shrunken head.

jeff

The local Cinemark is now showing it as available after Dec 6.   Originally that was the last date they had for it listed.  May have to find some time

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, chadbag said:

The local Cinemark is now showing it as available after Dec 6.   Originally that was the last date they had for it listed.  May have to find some time

I had seen that as well; I was a bit concerned about that because I know a few people who want to see it that couldn’t make it last weekend.

I did catch the IMAX today and glad I did — am on board with this is teh bestest Gojira film made to date!

The suit is in the modern vein but definitely adds to the scare value of being faced down by this monster, especially in Row E of the IMAX.
: 3

My childhood was Sunday matinees at a large old art deco theatre, the Paramount, in Oakland CA for the double feature. Mostly Godzilla, monster and horror movies for 8-12 year olds! I would sit way down in front for all the Godzilla and big monster movies to get the effect they were about to step on you. Nirvana for a 8 year old.

good to hear you enjoyed the movie, maybe I will need to check it out…

jeff

• Like 1

I always prefer to sit close enough that the screen fills my peripheral vision for the full immersion.  Which row that is depends on the size of the screen so I don't lose parts of the movie beyond peripheral vision  — for IMAX, the 5th row is perfect.  Speed Racer was amazing from that seat too!

Over the decades, Gojira has grown taller and taller to keep pace with the Tokyo skyline.  In a great visual touch, he shrank back down to suitably tower over the 1947 Tokyo skyline (what was left of it after the war).  I do like Yamazaki's sentiment as the director: "You can't have Godzilla unless it's the Shōwa era." — it really does fit like a glove.

• Like 1

But his head did not go back to Shōwa era proportions! It was funny in the trailer when you see him head on pulled back view and he roars directly at the camera you can barely see his head and his mouth disappears! Maybe the tiny head and bloated body was a reaction to the American raptor godzilla where his head got big and his body turned svelte!

it’s showing in one of the little theaters nearby so no problem getting a front and center seat for a weekday afternoon show next week. Unfortunately not showing in imax here.

jeff

Nowadays they're using CGI instead of actual suits.  Very good CGI that is done to look like a person walking in a suit, but not constrained to proportions that would be needed on a person's suit.  It does look more monster like than person in a suit like.

Sorry the newer godzillas with the tiny possum heads dont feel more monster like to me, they just make me laugh. He’s now a pin head geek!

jeff

Personally, I could see elements of the American Godzilla designs in the Minus One version as well, both ‘98 and MonsterVerse (not in a bad way).  Despite their lesser reputations, I thought it was a nice touch.

Speaking of which, with the MonsterVerse ramping back up, alongside Minus One, I’m glad to see Godzilla back in the spotlight again.

• Like 1

Booked tickets for a matinee tomorrow to see with Roxanne.  And for another matinee on Tuesday to see with a friend, she was disappointed she couldn't make it to the IMAX trip.

G-1 Festweek!
=^,^=

Well we didn't see Godzilla this past Saturday as no one in the family wanted to go with me (and we needed to go to a late showing due to house building work) but we did see The Boy and the Heron.  My daughter and wife wanted to see it and I was game so we went to the 10pm XD showing in Japanese (subtitled in English).  Still trying to get someone to go to Godzilla with me.

Same boat as Chadbag, went to the show on Saturday with my mom and she picked The Boy and Heron over Godzilla. She wants to go out again on Tuesday but for Die Hard.

• Like 1

I’m hoping to go to a matinee this week if I’m not drowned in paperwork. Sadly no imax around here… early weekday matinee 25% plus senior discount! Who hoo! 

jeff

• Like 2