Screwdrivers what are you using to disassemble your trains?

bc6

What are you guys using do you have a matched precision set of Germanys best engineered tools or are they Japanese finest?

Yes, I have the Wiha 50 piece precision set, German made.  Have served me well over the years.

IMG_0503.jpeg

and nice thing with Wiha, you can always get replacements if that should ever be needed, and can add to the sets when new/oddball screws come out, like Apple pentalobe, etc.  Tools like most things, you get what you pay for.

Edited by Bob Martin

Neither. Mostly use an inexpensive set of multi small screwdrivers like this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J58O026/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

while I have a few sets of precision watchmaker blade screwdrivers I don’t find they work well in most model train screws as too thin and narrow. The inexpensive set has worked like a charm and never stripped screw heads (rarely are any model train screws torqued that hard and if corroded you’re screwed anyway. Having the hex and nut drivers is a plus now and then.

a couple of 00 and 000 Phillips with very hard tips that I use specifically for driving track screws.

im a total tool head since I was like 4, but I also tend not to go overboard if I don’t have to. Where I spend more money is on pliers where more money brings better quality a lot of the time, but even there my go to needle nose pliers most of the time are still a $4 pair! Luckily most all the tools needed for n scale train repair and maintenance don’t have to be the top end to work just fine.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

Likewise, I have always used a pretty low cost basic set of small watchmaker style screw drivers from Maplin, an electrical shop in the UK.

I’ve had them about 15 years or so, never had an issue with them stripping screws and are still very reliable. All of my trains are plastic and most are clipped these days with the exception of the occasional bogie that needs unscrewing. The only trains I own with a lot of screws are my 2x HO DD54 from Zoukei Mura. 

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 2
Martijn Meerts

I've considered getting a good set of watchmaker's screwdrivers, but instead I have a couple of the cheap sets. They mostly work for what I use them for really.

• Like 2