Smoked windows...

disturbman

Lurking through wikipedia and youtube I noticed that the real 255系 and its model by MicroAce didn't quite look alike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXH7ZRnoBC8

As you can see here, the windows of this train are smoked, a bit black. Where as the model look like this (photo is not mine but come from the blog of this shop):

p1100235.jpg

Clearly, the windows are not smoked at all. Just plain transparent plastic. Which really is too bad because those darkened windows play a big role in how this train look. And now, that I think of it. I'm pretty sure that none of my other Microaces have any kind of smoked windows even when the prototype have them.

So, I'm wondering. Why Microace didn't reproduce those smoked windows? Is there other model like these (just checking I can say that the new Fresh Hitachi don't have them)? Does Kato or Tomix used smoked plastic on their models?

Do you have any models with smoked/darkened windows in your roster?

Because it's also possible that there is no convenient product to reproduce those kind of glass.

Hi!

(I hope my english is good)

I think is only a molding problem, factory need only one mold to stamp a complete windows sprue (with cristal ABS/PEBD or similar) if you want 2 tone windows you need one addictional mold (and obviously one single mold maybe for a single window...$$$$)

Sometime I see on Yahoo auction a particular colored tape to apply on windows to obtain a similar effect, for example a clear blue cristal tape to apply on motorman cabin left/right windows of Shinkansen 100 (for curved surface is not so simple, of course)

ciao

Massimo

Well, you could always got to the paint section of your LHS and grab some Tamiya Acrylic X-19 Clear Smoke. With a small paint brush, you should be able to do it.

Do you have any models with smoked/darkened windows in your roster?

Not trains, but they do use smoked windows for a lot of the buildings windows.  Another solution may be to get the window film used to darken glass for car windows.

Well, you could always got to the paint section of your LHS and grab some Tamiya Acrylic X-19 Clear Smoke. With a small paint brush, you should be able to do it.

I've used this, I think it would be the easiest solution. BTW, it's also handy for quick weathering jobs, just a light spay over the model, a little bit heavier round exhaust stacks and the like, and a coat of Dullcoat to get rid of the gloss gives a basic coat of grime to tone down a model. I don't use it for this much now though since Tamiya moved to smaller bottles that don't go as far.

I've used this, I think it would be the easiest solution. BTW, it's also handy for quick weathering jobs, just a light spay over the model, a little bit heavier round exhaust stacks and the like, and a coat of Dullcoat to get rid of the gloss gives a basic coat of grime to tone down a model. I don't use it for this much now though since Tamiya moved to smaller bottles that don't go as far.

From my experience with DullCoat, I remember that it fogs up clear parts. So I guess that you would have to mask window areas. BTW If you have a HobbyTown USA in your area, they can order the big bottles of Tamiya Paint.

From my experience with DullCoat, I remember that it fogs up clear parts. So I guess that you would have to mask window areas. BTW If you have a HobbyTown USA in your area, they can order the big bottles of Tamiya Paint.

If I'm using Dullcoat I leave any window glazing out until I finish painting.

How about thin plastic sheets that are tinted that stick onto computer screens, digital camera screens, iPods, to protect them from scratches? Could you use them inside the windows of the train.