Running on the floor

bill937ca

Do you run your trains on the floor?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Do you run your trains on the floor?

• YES
    • NO
    • Maybe

I wont be running trains on the floor as my good lady has bought me a shed, just need to get power & light to it and I can start building layouts again  :grin

Great news! How big is the shed?

I know this is a good old topic, but maybe it is time to make it alive. Maybe I am not the only one who still makes layouts on the floor just to play few hours.

Yesterday evening I made a small tram layout (OK, it is not on the floor technically, but the style is the same), just to watch my Portrams running. Today I made a video about it.

I think it would be great if you also share your temporary layouts here. I will. :-)

• Like 2

I don't have a big enough home to run them elsewhere and my kitchen table would be too tight to run my trains (at least my Shinkansen). :-)

Sharing pictures is a nice initiative, I'll do it next time I build a layout!

Guest Closed Account 1

I still run on the carpet some weekends.

I use the Kato V16 oval with straights from V11 to make a super long oval to speed match DCC or just excercise the locos. S

Sometimes use it with Jmri to experiment with. Use iPhone to run trains.

Nowadays, I have a small collection of Tomix Finetrack which I sometimes lay down on the table or floor. I now only have two points, so not much interesting is happening operation-wise. I can lay down an 'L' shaped circle for my B-trains or Railway Collection trains, which is fine for now.

post-188-0-71737200-1360193506_thumb.jpg

If I want to do something bigger or watch bigger trains, I can always visit a good friend who has more tracks, more room and a bit more trains than I have. He also shares an unhealthy interest in Keikyu and Tohoku rolling stock with me...

post-188-0-11574800-1360193612_thumb.jpg

All is on the floor for now.

• Like 2

"Me too" post alert!... Great controller! :)

I'm sure the track layout on the first photo would make a nice layout for short tramlike trains.... just add some scenery, houses and spare time....

• Like 1

Hahaha, thanks. The controller is the cheapest that is around, so I chose that one. I'm not planning to run high-powered long trains, so this will do for now. Eventually, I need to buy a more powerful controller that doesn't run on four AAs.

Yeah, it's that one, but I got a Cosmic CP-0505 on domestic power for ¥1,000 today, so the Tomytec is going into the archives. The Cosmic one is prepared to be built into a layout and is provides for very smooth running. Very happy with this acquisition. :3

In reply to Bernards question way back last year (sorry I missed it) it is 8x6 feet

Split level set up in place, upper for Japanese, lower for Baltimore & Ohio.  Not much done since the summer because of work but some pictures below.

002.jpg

new1.jpg

new4.jpg

20120701_153025.jpg

jap4.jpg

dood1.jpg

jrwest.jpg

• Like 3

post-188-0-64565000-1360728056_thumb.jpg post-188-0-73507500-1360728068_thumb.jpg

Motorised my Kotoden trains, added TN couplers (simply replacing the standard Arnold couplers with Tomix TN claws), bought a few catenary poles the other day, and made a small circuit again.

Anyway, I might go hunt for more of these Kotoden 600 and 700 Types, since they really started to grow on me. You can also run them as 3-car trains (Tc+Mc+Mc) like Kotoden does, so that provides me with a lot more flexibility as well. I'd like to have a fleet of at least 10 cars, one or two small and simple steeplecab locomotives (small boxcabs will also be fine) and some freight cars for maintenance runs. All plans for when I find a job and have more money at my disposal...

A little playtime on Tuesday evening. A friend came over and brought some trains, so we had a Kato Class 66 in Rail4Chem livery, a Fleischmann Taurus in GySEV (Haydn) livery, an ÖBB Desiro, and of course a Kato E231. Track is mainly from Unitrack V11. Sorry about the pictures' quality, but only a phone was available.

post-212-0-57674400-1362223344_thumb.jpg

post-212-0-59418300-1362223355_thumb.jpg

I had layout but since moving i run on the floor.

I really miss the layout. i only brang 10% of my roster too. dr yellow and all my steamers. Few others.

now play on the floor with the son.

i want to make a really small layout one i can use for biz photos and personal use.

thinking 50x 60cm max for the steamers electric locos and diesel locos

Not my layout, but I thought it looked funny with the Keihan 600 going through the weird curves:

• Like 1
Not one piece of straight track on that layout.

Yap... And not good for the passengers inside... No bentos will be sold on board ~~

Oh the hideous spacing in between the cars....

Not exactly on the floor, but...

My colleagues asked me a lot during the year to grab some tracks and model trains and bring to the office and show them. As Christmas is near, I fulfilled they wishing, so we made a roundy-roundy temporary layout just to have fun. And I can tell you, they have fun, there is almost always somebody at the controller, changing the trains, switching the turnouts. I made a small video, here it is (the plush figure is a Christmas decoration):

Great IST! 

one of our club members here in dc a long time back realized his large office desk area was just gathering junk and he only really needed his computer in the corner. so he went in one weekend and cleared everything out and set up a nice little layout on the long desk space. suddenly he had a lot of visitors dropping by his cubicle all the time! finally boss's boss said it needed to go...

cheers

jeff

Edited by cteno4
Not exactly on the floor, but...

Great idea and really nice rolling stock. The first thing i noticed was the ganz articulated tram, one of my favourites!