advice on "best practices" for track on a layout

nik_n_dad

Hello.

We're trying to get our new layout going over the holidays.  It's an around the walls n-scale layout with a duck-under using kato unitrack.

What are some recommended "best practices"......

1) how long of a straight should one have on either side of a plate girder or truss bridge before a curve?

2) how long of a straight should one have before entering a curve from a turnout (the main route, not the diverging route)

3) how long of a straight should one have in an s-curve (the length of the straight between the change in direction of the curve?

Thanks

Mike

Mudkip Orange

Obviously it depends on what kind of equipment you're going to run. Since this is JNS forum I assume some mixture of Shinkansen and 1:150 commuter trains.

Bridges - 62mm should be fine in most applications, but you if you want to be safe you can go with 124mm.

Turnout - Depends. With most stock you don't need anything. At most 186mm should solve your problems with all but the most finicky equipment.

S-curve - Either no straight at all or 124mm and longer. DO NOT PUT A 62MM STRAIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF A TIGHT S-CURVE. I haven't had any problems with Japanese trains, but a 62mm straight in an S-curve KILLS north American passenger stock. And who knows, you might want to run an SP Daylight sometime.

From an aesthetic perspective S-curves look better if you can put at least a 248mm straight in between, but this is strictly for appearances...

CaptOblivious

for 1)

I have no problems with curves that lead directly into truss bridges, except with my Kato E4. The instruction sheet for the E4 says that coming out of a 282mm curve, you must add at least a 62mm straight before the truss bridge—and they aren't kidding! But that's the only bit of rolling stock that I own that needs the clearance.

I don't know if Tomix is good about listing these requirements, but Kato certainly is, so you could check your instruction sheets for hints on these issues. Otherwise, Mudkip's advice is sound.

Generally for S curves you want a straight as long as your longest piece of rolling stock.  Same would apply for curves near switches. Most Japanese passenger cars are 20m or shorter (about 140mm).