When do you do most of your Modeling?

Bernard

Today we got 18" of snow and after finishing shoveling the driveway it is a perfect day to stay inside and do some modeling. I find that I'm more prone to doing work on train projects in the winter months than any other time of year. So when do other members find themselves doing the most work on their train projects? (weekends, weekdays, months, season, etc.)

It's pretty random--opportunities for personal projects are pretty rare, so I just grab them when I can. This is why our layout is coming along so slowly. The only consistent thing is that I don't try to do anything requiring physical effort (layout construction, etc.) in the summer, since the humidity in the basement is revolting.

When I can the last few years my time for my modeling has been decreasing each year,,,spring and summer is good as i leave my better half to the garden as its not my thing really, even if she did try and tempt me with an idea for a G scale in the garden.

This could be a global thing, here in the UK many large layouts are constructed in the loft roof space, hot in summer and cold in winter! not many modern houses have basements here or cellars as we call them.

Lew

I am a freelancer so my modeling is pretty random depending on how busy things are. bennie of being a freelancer is i can take time off at odd times of the day or whole days off needed and not too busy. downside is when work gets busy it takes out all my train time. up side is that as i work at home alone i can pop on the list in between things a lot as my water cooler/coffee break even when things are busy. nice way to clear the head!

shoveled about 80% of the 24" here in dc last night, now time to go break through to the road!

been working on clearing out some of the basement for trains and a small train shop. hope it can be someplace to spend more concerted time in playing with trains as well as doing the modeling. also hope it can become a place some of the jrm members can stop by now and then for a bit of a club house. my big shop is in the garage and not so comfortable to work in the summer and winter months, so hoping the basement shop will be more conducive to more train modeling in 2010! also will be nice to have a cleaner shop for the modeling stuff as the wood working is not all that compatible with the train modeling, saw dust everywhere and easy to bang big things around the more delicate stuff! also will free up more space in the wood shop.

cheers

jeff

When I can the last few years my time for my modeling has been decreasing each year,,,spring and summer is good as i leave my better half to the garden as its not my thing really, even if she did try and tempt me with an idea for a G scale in the garden.

This could be a global thing, here in the UK many large layouts are constructed in the loft roof space, hot in summer and cold in winter! not many modern houses have basements here or cellars as we call them.

Lew

Lew - This is very interesting that most UK layouts are in the loft (attic) whereas in the US most are in the basement (a few in the garage). Never thought about the different type of houses or climates around the world and how it effects building a model RR.

I know of a friend of mine who has a pretty large OO (HO) layout in the loft, the first summer cost him dearly, with a rare heatwave (2003) his two main line loops had to be relaid as he hadnt left enough expansion gaps on the track and this caused severe warping, he relaid and hasnt had this problem since.

As I said very few modern post--1920 houses here have basements , two car garages are also only a recent addition, the loft roofspace is the most popular or a spare room (not for me with 3 kids!) or a layout that is portable for taking to exhibitions,

Lew

We're building the layout in the garage (cold this time of year) but will move it to the basement.  Pretty cosmopolitan, huh?

Work on it as there's time (work, work-travel, family time, etc).  Now that we've dumped the idea of using flextrack and have gone back to a unitrack-based layout, things should move more quickly.  I'm a bad night-owl so I tend to work after everyone else has gone to bed.

I do most of my modeling when no one is at home usually or anytime I have a free minute or two. Like right now I feel like working on a building. Like nik_n_dad Im a bad night owl hoot hoot lol..

I will probably get more work done now that I am not working.  It was hard too work on the layout when you are getting up at 3:30AM each weekday morning.  But I enjoyed finishing a full day just after noon.  When everyone else was having lunch I was going home.  :cool: