The Cult of Keikyu

HankyuDentetsu

HankyuDentetsu

Mods - feel free to move or delete if there's a more appropriate place to put this thread/query.

Title kind of gives it away - there seems to be an inordinate amount of English-language love for Keikyu on social media (eg https://www.facebook.com/groups/292806465167093/) and I've seen the network spoken of so highly on this forum too. So, what's the deal?

I've ridden the line to Haneda, of course I love the iconic double-decker layout at Kamata station, and I see that they can really pack those trains in tight from a time-tabling point of view at rush hour. All excellent things, but all things considered they're hardly a sprawling network like Kintetsu, or a classy number like Hankyu (😉)

Again apologies if this topic has been covered before or done to death. I'd just love to get your input on what makes Keikyu so special - because there's clearly something to it!

• Like 1
bill937ca

Keikyu links both airports, Narita (by trackage rights on Keisie) and Haneda. Its high speed main line runs are impressive. I don't think its the only Japanese private railway with a large following. Others would be Hankyu and Odakyu.

Video by 

KKiSM

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3
railsquid
3 hours ago, HankyuDentetsu said:

Title kind of gives it away - there seems to be an inordinate amount of English-language love for Keikyu on social media (eg https://www.facebook.com/groups/292806465167093/) and I've seen the network spoken of so highly on this forum too. So, what's the deal?

Inevitably Keikyu is going to be more "popular" as it's one of the larger private networks and thanks to its airport links is one people are likely to encounter first. But the existence of a single Facebook group with a couple of dozen posts, mainly from the same poster, and your subjective opinion on postings on this forum hardly constitute evidence of a "cult".

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, railsquid said:

Inevitably Keikyu is going to be more "popular" as it's one of the larger private networks and thanks to its airport links is one people are likely to encounter first. But the existence of a single Facebook group with a couple of dozen posts, mainly from the same poster, and your subjective opinion on postings on this forum hardly constitute evidence of a "cult".

Hey, the Minato Line Supporters has over 9,000 followers, with regular comments on the daily activities — especially on the work day of Mini-chan the station cat at Nakaminato!
: 3
https://www.facebook.com/MinatoLineSupporters/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
HankyuDentetsu

Sorry folks, this was meant to be a light hearted conversation! Looks like I was wrong and there isn't more attention given to Keikyu then?

And lol sorry Railsquid, I used "cult of Keikyu" because I liked the alliteration! Not actually implying there are any mysterious foreigner cults dedicated to the railway network, haha 🙂 🙂

I should have been more precise with my language. I was just trying to get a discussion started as to what separates out Keikyu from the rest of the pack. I thought it had an extremely strong and loyal following, and I just wanted to know why.

For example, you don't just post things like "Keikyu fetish" without a reason! (That post really made me laugh)

image.thumb.png.e578c3d620832b7e0a6ba0ed982415e9.png

Anyway apologies if I've caused any trouble.

• Like 2
railsquid
5 hours ago, HankyuDentetsu said:

For example, you don't just post things like "Keikyu fetish" without a reason! (That post really made me laugh)

image.thumb.png.e578c3d620832b7e0a6ba0ed982415e9.png

Anyway apologies if I've caused any trouble.

It's literally that one person on that small facebook group posting that. Why not ask him directly?

If say every second post on this forum was about Keikyu then you might be on to something, but that's not the case. It's just one of a bunch of large-ish private railway with its own particular characteristics and quirks, and like all the others interest ranges from "total fan who buys all the models etc" to "meh whatever".

• Like 2

Well the forum has 668 posts mentioning Keikyu out of 217,000 posts. As topics go not really a splash. Little sanriku is in 93 posts.

I think it is where you look you have to see if it’s not a localized thing like that one group and one poster. I’ve never seen Keikyu as being something being put on a pedestal anywhere. Just talked about more as interface to airports like others mentioned and larger operation. But many of the even small lines and companies have little dedicated fan bases as cat notes.

jeff

• Like 1

As private railways go, I've always felt Hankyu was the most well known.  Their connection to the famous Pacific Electric railway grabs the interest of US focused modelers that I've spoken to about Japan railways, and the high class service seems to draw loyalty.  The Maroon paint may also be a disincentive factor for Hankyu.

As I mostly model JNR/JR, I don't have much of an interest in private lines unless I've ridden them or they have unique equipment that catches my eye.  I've definitely seen Keikyu trains before, but I didn't remember their name.  They look modern and comfortable, but generic enough that I really haven't had a reason to research them. 

Perhaps some visitors had an excellent time riding on Keikyu, which made them into lifelong fans.

Edited by Kiha66
Fixed grammer mistake
  • Like 2

I totally forgot about the 230 series, which is I think the trainset most know of, if not that it belonged to Keikyu.  Thanks to the one outside Kato's HQ its probably the most photographed Keikyu train, and with the kato release this year perhaps the line will become much more popular for modelers.  

Keikyu-268-kato.jpg

Edited by Kiha66
Got Keiku and Hankyu mixed up
bill937ca

This is one of the places in Japan where there is competition between the JR companies and the major private railways. In the Yokohama-Tokyo corridor you will find find JR East Keihin-Tohoku-line, JR East Yokosuka line, Keikyu and Tokyu lines.  They are very busy lines with frequent service all day. Another place where this occurs is in the Kinki region with JR West, Hankyu, Hanshin and Kintetsu.

There is the competition with the JR East Keihin-Tohoku-line  to Yokohama.  Keikyu offers trains with comfortable cross seating while the Keihin-Tohoku-line  is just JR's standard long seat commuter cars.  JR and Keikyu do not only run parallel between Shinagawa and Yokohama, but JR's Yokosuka-line goes (from Tokyo, Shinagawa and Yokohama) to Zushi, Yokosuka and Kurihama, so to the same places as Keikyu. Keikyu also runs Rapid-limited-express and Commuter-rapid-limited-express during the rush hour in 12-car trains. Keikyu also has the Keikyu Wing reserved seat trains  in the rush hours for added comfort and JR has some Home Liner trains.  There is also is the Tokyu line between Yokohama and Shibuya, another private railway but without dedicated cross seat limited express trains.

• Like 1

Tthe Japanese Unciclopedia does have an entry for a "Keikyu Cult".

It's indeed an actual expression whitin the Japanese Railfan scene, wich denotes the insanely active and militant part of Keikyu Railway's vast fanbase, and it's generally used as a somewheat derogatory term (compare to the american "foamer") by fans of other railway companies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, railsquid said:

Umm, now I'm confused - that's a former Keikyu DeHa 268, nothing to do with Hankyu.

Thanks for catching that Squid, I mixed up the two railway companies.  I meant to say that the 230 series is probably one of the best known Keikyu trains to non-Japanese thanks to the kato HQ, and with the recent model release by kato it may lead to the line becoming more well known.

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf

If anything its got to be related to those VVF inverters especially the Siemens ones and the songs that they sing.

• Like 4

They also advertise on TV unlike other train companies. Even in Fukuoka we get these commercials.

• Like 3
bill937ca

Keikyu also ran an advertising campaign in 2018 that celebrated 20 years of service to Haneda airport.  This included wrapping trains on many railways across Japan. Included in this was Hiroshima Electric Railway 3905, seen here at the Hiroden Miyajimaguchi terminal of the Hiroden railway line.  Video by かんの

As documented on the Keikyu website    https://www.keikyu.co.jp/company/news/2018/20180420HP_18002MT.html

This campaign also appeared on     Osaka Monorail October 2017-,  Okinawa "Yui Rail" February 2018-,  Nagasaki Electric Tramway February 2018-,   Kagoshima City Transportation Bureau February 2018-,   Takamatsu Kotohira Electric Railway April 2018-  all of which are pictured at the bottom of the above link.

https://tetsudo-ch.com/38365.html

If there is a Keikyu cult it might well be Keikyu management!!!

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 2
railsquid

Call me crazy but I imagine there's a rational motiviation for advertising your services to people who might just be flying into Haneda and need transportation to somewhere less full of aeroplanes, preferably without using that nasty monorail.

Here's another company which has hit on a similar idea:

• Like 1

Both Keikyu and Hankyu did very well in the B-Train Shorty lottery, with several entries for each line.

Personally, I am a devotee of the cults of the station cats.
~ , ~

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
bill937ca

Interestingly,  Hiroden 3905 is still in the Keikyu livery as of today (May 3rd, 2021).  Very quiet for Golden Week. Video by moticoma5237

Edited by bill937ca
HankyuDentetsu
7 hours ago, Socimi said:

Tthe Japanese Unciclopedia does have an entry for a "Keikyu Cult".

It's indeed an actual expression whitin the Japanese Railfan scene, wich denotes the insanely active and militant part of Keikyu Railway's vast fanbase, and it's generally used as a somewheat derogatory term (compare to the american "foamer") by fans of other railway companies.

Excellent detective work Socimi! 

And Das Steinkopf, I had forgotten about the singing trains! (As an aside, there can't be much non-Japanese made rolling stock active on the JR/private networks today I presume?).

Bill, really good find RE the Hiroden! And really great insight regarding Keikyu's competitiveness in the Yokohama corridor - proper seating and 12 car trains, very rare for private railways indeed.

I also find it really interesting that Hankyu is perceived as one of, if not the most, popular private railways, given that it's Kansai based and not Kanto. You'll get no arguments from me - the rolling stock and many of the stations are a treasure to behold.

Cheers everyone!

• Like 3

It's interesting that there is a topic about this but I'll go ahead and chime in.  

It is not necessarily a cult but there are dedicated Keikyuu, Odakyu, Tobu, Seibu, Hakone Tozan, Enoshima, Hanshin Railway fans and collectors.  And also growing are fans of the Shonan and Tokai livery.  I happen to be one of them. 

Personally, I think something that is not JR tends to have some love by some railway fans (but hey, I'm a Yomiuri Giants fan and so many times I hear from people who hate my beloved baseball team...lol).  Or perhaps its the love similar to those who love Japanese music label (when I was younger, I loved music from Avex, until I worked with them for many years then I lost all love) or video game companies, I remember being at Atlus Games fanboy.

I do feel the Odakyu train fans are more apparent than Keikyuu, especially Romance Car fans or perhaps the female fans are more vocal.

Momo Ito has it in front of her book cover, Tetsujoshi goddess Kuno Tomomi also wrote books both on Odakyu and Keikyuu ("Fascinated by the big red car").

As there are those who grew up with the trains, there is also train makers that go crazy with limited editions from these companies. Takara Tomy really feeds into this system especially with their collaborations with these railways especially.  

Even for their Plarail, trains available from these non-JR companies are often more expensive limited editions.  They are not targeting kids, they are targeting the adults.

https://www.takaratomy.co.jp/products/plarail/info/special.htm

This past few days alone, I have been adding to my collection for Keikyuu, Odakyu, Tobu and Seibuu and its so much more expensive....achh.

But I don't know.... I guess to each their own.  Some people really love those Keikyuu Ichigo or yellow 1000s.  I'm more Shonan livery guy...so I go crazy when there is a orange/green train.  

bikkuri bahn

Private railways (mintetsu) typically garner more loyalty and affection from the populace it serves than any JR- the stations are more closely spaced (more likely serving those wanting to get somewhere just out of cycling range), they tend to collaborate more with local businesses than the more regional focused JR, and often have the ancillary enterprises (housing developments, retail businesses, entertainment venues, etc.) that bind them more to the communities they serve. Not to mention things like buses and even taxis. This mintetsu centricity tends to be stronger in Kansai than Kanto, but certainly arguments are strong for companies like Odakyu and Tokyu, serving the wealthy suburbs, and Seibu serving western Tokyo and Saitama. Keikyu has a strong identity especially among fans because it’s a direct competitor to parallel JR East, with unique (almost Kansaiesque) operating practices that separate them from other mintetsu in Tokyo, and among the general populace it serves both the blue collar Keihin industrial region and the more middle class Miura peninsula, giving it a strong intraregional identity, among (similarly prideful) Yokohama citizens and those living south- Yokosuka et al.

*to add re. Keikyu: there is a station on the mainline in Shinagawa ward called “Aomonoyokocho“, literally “green grocer alleyway” which gives you an idea of the local, neighborhood centric nature of Keikyu’s operation, and a lot of mintetsu in general. Btw this station is the only one in the whole nation that has the expression “yokocho” in its name. 

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 2