Scenery under the elevated track

wasunka

Guys,

I'm building a couple of long TTrak modules for use in my club's setups. The basic theme of this whole set of modules is a rather dense coastal city (my interpretation of such from out here in west Texas.)  I want the Kato community tracks to be elevated above a Tomix loop ala E-Z Trolley.  The tram loop is the main visual feature of the whole thing.  The lower level is being planned around Tomix piers (and stores built into them) to support the upper lines.  The overall length will be about six feet.

So, first, I need some reference to figure what a good spacing would be for the piers.  Should they be adjacent, as in touching, or at some nominal distance apart?  A few pictures or pointers to a source would be appreciated.

Also, at the ends of the elevated section, the two 'community' lines occupy about 60mm width, minimum.  However, in the middle of the section there is a siding on each main line.  A terminal complex will straddle all this.  The tracks will occupy about 200mm minimum, with a bit more for the apron on the rear for scenery.  I figure I'll have to scratch build some type of viaduct for this thing.

The tram loop behind the piers will not be seen from the front. However, it may be seen from across the normal layout loop.  So, I could use some suggestions for scenery for the rather broad space under the elevated tracks and the rear edge as well.

Right now, I'm thinking about a total view block between the front and rear, probably black.  Then, piers front and rear, with the store fronts on the front side, naturally, and the rear panels on the rear side, as if they extend all the way across down there.  But, really, I just don't know - I'm whistling in the dark, so to speak.

So, any help or ideas along the way using the piers would be appreciated, along with any other ideas.

Thanks,

Joe

Mudkip Orange

Yo dawg, I need a track plan before I can answer it. If you don't have one just tear the psychic section out of the weekly STAR and doodle a basic outline with red magic marker.

Also what do you mean by spacing between the piers? If you buy the Tomix or the Greenmax shops-under-the-elevated sets, the pier spacing is standard. If you're talking about the distance *between* tracks, well, yeah - there IS none, it's Japan, if you push a couple single track pieces together that's a double track.

If you wanna see what I'm talkin' about go here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=tokyo&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=T%C5%8Dky%C5%8D+Metropolis,+Japan&ll=35.704151,139.773957&spn=0.002975,0.004823&z=18&layer=c&cbll=35.704754,139.774135&panoid=oBPlDVa1imT4ULElmV-QNg&cbp=12,51.53,,0,7.6

It's the east side of the Yamanote loop just north of Akihibara station. If you zoom out (or click streetview around the corner and under the overpass) you'll see all the tracks are pressed together. But then again I'm not quite sure if that was your question or not, since there ain't no track plan.

CaptOblivious

I think he means the spacing between the piers. The way they attach to the track, you won't have much choice in the matter: they will be fairly densly packed (which should look more or less prototypical).

I'm afraid I have a little difficulty envisioning what you are trying to describe, too. But you could feasibly vput anything under the viaduct, depending on the setting. I'm guess the tram makes it urban?

CaptOblivious

If you are feeling ambitious, you could recreate something like Ameyoko Arcade under the viaduct. It is an open-air market built underneath the Yamanote and Keihin-Tohoku lines just south of Ueno Station. In the photo below, the shops on the right are the ones under the viaduct (you can just make out the guard barrier and centenary at the very top).

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1340729879058286430wzooHF

more:

http://www.danandcarolyn.net/images/Japan/Tokyo/AmeyokoShoppingStreet-2.jpg

http://image02.webshots.com/2/7/59/74/50475974MNUzsg_ph.jpg

Under the posting "My Main Station Module" on August 11, 2009, you can see pictures of

the elevated track arrangement using Kato N track.  There are two straight through main

lines, each with a siding. 

In one picture, I lined up a series of Tomix piers along the face of the foam block that was

used for the test mockup. 

Under these main tracks is to be a 'square' oval using Tomix track.  There is a passing siding

in the rear, out of sight of the viewing public.

C = C140 curve track  S = straight, total length TBD  P = turnout, C140

K= = Kato mains over the loop (sidings not drawn)

(rear of modules)

C - S - S - S - S - C

P - S - S - S - S - P

K==|==============|==K

C - S - S - S - S - C

(front of modules)

I hope this helps clarify what I'm thinking.  I'd scan in some sketches or pics, but my pc

died, and I've pressed this old W98/IE6 machine back into service until a new fire-breather

can be bought.  It's so sloooow that a snail looks like it's been taking steroids.

Thanks,

Joe