Which freight cars for loco 9600?

Mossberg

So I am asking for an advise again :-)

I have bought the KATO 9600 loco and now I need an advise on which freight cars that would be suitable.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Magnus M

Anything that's short, has 2 axles and is probably painted black would work (early on most freight cars where painted steam engine black). A set of Wamu (16 ton covered freight car) or Hoki (open hopper cars, usually coal before it was mined out) could go almost anywhere. Keep in mind that steam was still in use by JNR on branch lines for a long time - the 9600 and other steam engines where still in use on the north and south islands (Kyushu and Hokkaido) until the mid to late 70s.

My own question now: I think Kato's 9600 has been updated (proper scale now, not the enlarged 1/144). How is the pulling performance? I have a heavy car situation and want a reasonably priced generic looking steam engine (no deflectors) to pull it. A Kato 9600 would be best as Kato sells easy to install knuckle couplers. Does anyone know of the pulling performance of some of Micro Ace's lower priced models like this: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10066762

Anything that's short, has 2 axles and is probably painted black would work (early on most freight cars where painted steam engine black). A set of Wamu (16 ton covered freight car) or Hoki (open hopper cars, usually coal before it was mined out) could go almost anywhere. Keep in mind that steam was still in use by JNR on branch lines for a long time - the 9600 and other steam engines where still in use on the north and south islands (Kyushu and Hokkaido) until the mid to late 70s.

My own question now: I think Kato's 9600 has been updated (proper scale now, not the enlarged 1/144). How is the pulling performance? I have a heavy car situation and want a reasonably priced generic looking steam engine (no deflectors) to pull it. A Kato 9600 would be best as Kato sells easy to install knuckle couplers. Does anyone know of the pulling performance of some of Micro Ace's lower priced models like this: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10066762

I had my new Kato 9600 at the club last saturday pulling 15 Micro-Ace WAMU, 10 Kawai HOKI (loaded), 5 Kawai TORA and Kato van on the NTRAK layout.

Another point to keep in mind is that most steam era freight trains, in Japan as elsewhere, had more variety of car types in a single train than today.

Another point to keep in mind is that most steam era freight trains, in Japan as elsewhere, had more variety of car types in a single train than today.

Don't forget mixed runs with one or two passenger coaches. Very likely to be seen on mining branchlines. Usually the passenger coach was right behind the engine. This practice also continued with diesel traction (DD13).

Be careful not to haul too many wagons, as the 9600 wasn't that of a powerful engine, however it was a very very reliable one.