Random photos of stations I have visited

kuro68000

kuro68000

Using the wide angle lens makes a huge difference to the amount of noise.

More wide angle lens noise. In future I'm only going to use it during the day. I might try switching to capturing at 60 FPS and 8 bit too, instead of 30 FPS 10 bit HDR, for daytime. Then again, the chances of me remembering to do all that are low...

• Like 2

In the middle video at about 0:42 what is the warning on the walkway? Looks like no babies with their bottles!

jeff

kuro68000
2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

In the middle video at about 0:42 what is the warning on the walkway? Looks like no babies with their bottles!

jeff

image.png.6327d6f5af4a15be67bc1672c9ac597f.png

This?

That would be no walking while obliviously looking at your phone!

I've noticed more and more of these in Japan. Used to be no smoking in the street, but now they have switched to phones.

Thanks for watching, by the way. I didn't think these would be of any interest to anyone but me. I'm getting a few views on YouTube too, surprisingly.

Edited by kuro68000
  • Like 1

Ah yes now I see! Thanks. Should have gone to the computer and blown it up. Smaller it looked like a baby with a baby bottle! No feeding toddlers here!

I guess you don’t count with your phone strapped to your chest as you are not looking at it! 

Damn your I’m now trying to figure out how to make the flashing road cones! Think a piece of fiber optics will work well for it. But to get the different colors could require 2 or 3 fibers maybe. Have to go look at some of the cheap led toys as some have similar sorts of patterns to them as a source or even a flicker circuit maybe. These seem to be an odd stuttering pattern and a number of different colors and white. Probably best to not be too uniform but not completely random to get driver’s attention the best.

it’s good you keep reminding me how important small side streets and alley ways are in Japanese scenes!

cheers,

jeff

• Like 1
kuro68000

I use a Hohem Steady XE gimbal to hold my phone. It's not the best gimbal on the market, and was about half the price of the high end ones, but it does a reasonable job. It's light weight and not too conspicuous. Fits in a large pocket.

My phone does have very good stabilization built in, but there is an issue with software stabilization that seems to affect all phones. Every now and again the image "shimmers". The more correction it has to do the more it happens. Turning off the software stabilization and using a gimbal produces much better results.

The Steady XE has some limitations. It doesn't pan smoothly when you turn your body sometimes. It tends to depend how fast you do it I think. It also has no vertical stabilization, so you get the bouncing "walk effect" like a 90s video game. You can mitigate it by trying to hold the gimbal level. The only way around that is a much larger one with a 4th axis of stability.

The only thing I wish it did better was balancing. You have to get the phone balanced manually, basically, or the whole video is tilted. The more expensive ones balance themselves, and the Hohem can do it, but you have to attach the feet and put it on a flat surface, then open the app and run a calibration cycle. It might be mitigated if it used a magnetic mount instead of jaws, because then the phone would be in exactly the same place every single time. Unfortunately the Pixel 8 Pro doesn't have a magnetic mount, although can get a case with one. I'll have to look into it.

As I think I said, the main issue is that if I'm not sure of the route, navigating and recording video at the same time is difficult. Maybe Android 15 will have something to help with that, split screen or something.

Tony Galiani

Did I really see an orange tree by a house in the Chuo-rinkan video?  That makes a nice detail if modeling an urban scene.  Neat videos.

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 1
marknewton
18 hours ago, kuro68000 said:

Thanks for watching, by the way. I didn't think these would be of any interest to anyone but me.

I’ve also been watching your videos. I think they’re great, because I find the suburban streets and byways just as interesting as the railways.  

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1

Fun walk and ideas for tiny sidewalks! Would not want to live next to that vending machine down the side street with the full face led scrolling text board! Again thanks for all the visual ideas. I need to spend an evening on the computer snapping reference pictures from your videos!

you wonder how practiced residents get parking their cars in tiny places, sometimes at very hard to reach spots! You are lucky here in the us if folks can even be within parking lines just pulling in! I imagine the turning radius on some of the tiny cars are quite tight.

jeff

• Like 1

Thanks for getting lost that was a really interesting neighborhood! Really exemplifies how many different things in Japan can be right next to each other! 

what were the fruit trees with all the various support systems?

amazing seeing so many large trimmed ornamental trees, something new to add at that scale! I keep forgetting about the deep gutters with the little streams in them, another detail to add. 

I kept trying to push you down to the driveway of that big residential compound with all the big trees, hoping the cat would lure you down! Bit big to model, but good head scratcher and something maybe to do a mini version of. Couldn’t tell if residential or small ryokan with gardens?

as always very enjoyable. Get lost more! 😜

jeff

• Like 2

I was wondering about the trees too. The support systems I can understand, making plants the desired shape is something you see a lot in Japan. Not sure about the covers for the fruit though. I guess they are a way to keep pests away that doesn't involve chemicals.

Here's the route, you can see I was going west when I wanted to be going east...

image.thumb.png.2cbfc8a415c9b2ec594dcb8fd419ae91.png

• Like 1

PXL_20240105_081830243.RAW-01.COVER.thumb.jpg.d87044162fdf601c93c3e925c3e03e28.jpg

Ishibashi Station 石橋駅

I love Japanese architecture. Look at that house. They would never build something like that here in the UK. It's got bits sticking out all over the place, balconies, different shaped windows... Everything is uniform and basic here.

• Like 1

PXL_20240111_075100394.RAW-02.ORIGINAL_dng_embedded.thumb.jpg.7c4893c1761508d5d5e73a5a8c182fee.jpg

I love the light reflecting off the rails. It was difficult to get the colouring right here. For once the Google Camera is actually a bit less saturated, so I did this from the raw in Darktable.

• Like 2