Sign in to follow this  
Morcs

Unitram layout planning

Morcs

Been eyeing up doing a unitram for a while now, and with the release of some new trams from kato, and a new starter set, ive ordered the V50+Green mover set.

Space 'allowable' gives me a 1500x540 workbench and this is end-game trackplan (looks like might be waiting a while for turnouts to become available again though unfortunately)

Some questions as theres a few things I havent encounted before:

• There are 2 reversing loops here, do i isolate the (red) turnouts fully (both ends) or just one, and assume i have them set to non-power routing?
  • With 2 areas of block control (blue), and isolating the above turnouts for the reversing loops, do my power sources (green) look like they will be in the correct places, and can you fit power connectors to unitram curve track, or am i limited to using unijoiner power for these?
  • the 2 top turnouts (yellow) will be ok? as in normal behaving and set to power routing? But if i was going to add a powerblock to the top central track, I would need to add power sources either side on that section, but would i change the turnout settings at all, or isolate them even?
  • Would this run 1 power pack or 2?  i dont even know if 2 is possible, would prefer 1, but can 1 handle it? would like to run upto 4-6 trams at the same time.
  • Any other issues that im not seeing? I really wanted to avoid the standard layout of loops with a big loop, at least this way i get a long continous run that looks more interesting.

Sorry for the questions, trying to follow the track around to figure out any potential electrical issues is giving me a headache, and its not even complicated 😮

UNITRAM.thumb.jpg.cc9d7c73eae4080071c55342f3d5e016.jpg

Edited by Morcs

brill27mcb
14 hours ago, Morcs said:

Been eyeing up doing a unitram for a while now, and with the release of some new trams from kato, and a new starter set, ive ordered the V50+Green mover set.

Space 'allowable' gives me a 1500x540 workbench and this is end-game trackplan (looks like might be waiting a while for turnouts to become available again though unfortunately)

Some questions as theres a few things I havent encounted before:

• There are 2 reversing loops here, do i isolate the (red) turnouts fully (both ends) or just one, and assume i have them set to non-power routing?
  • With 2 areas of block control (blue), and isolating the above turnouts for the reversing loops, do my power sources (green) look like they will be in the correct places, and can you fit power connectors to unitram curve track, or am i limited to using unijoiner power for these?
  • the 2 top turnouts (yellow) will be ok? as in normal behaving and set to power routing? But if i was going to add a powerblock to the top central track, I would need to add power sources either side on that section, but would i change the turnout settings at all, or isolate them even?
  • Would this run 1 power pack or 2?  i dont even know if 2 is possible, would prefer 1, but can 1 handle it? would like to run upto 4-6 trams at the same time.
  • Any other issues that im not seeing? I really wanted to avoid the standard layout of loops with a big loop, at least this way i get a long continous run that looks more interesting.

Sorry for the questions, trying to follow the track around to figure out any potential electrical issues is giving me a headache, and its not even complicated 😮

UNITRAM.thumb.jpg.cc9d7c73eae4080071c55342f3d5e016.jpg

I don't think you have any reversing loops. With double track (not single), your tram will come out of a loop on the other track than the one it went in on.  In other words, your trams will never cross to the "wrong" side of the street, so their path never really doubles back on itself to create a "reversing loop" situation with polarity mismatch.

I can't help with your other questions. I set up only one Unitram layout, a fairly complicated one for our club several years back. The return loops never acted in a way I could understand. People who use Unitram in the manner you are trying will have to chime in with help. One thing I do not like about Unitram points is that the pair of track points are thrown by a single point motor, so you can't have one aligned straight and the one next to it aligned curved. That really throws off the whole power-routing concept.

If I remember right, yes you can mount Unitram feeders to the curved pieces.

Rich K.

Edited by brill27mcb
  • Thanks 1

katoftw

Feeder arent correct. One feed depending on how the points are set and feed power to any track piece. Not good when you have two feeders.

Feeders need ro be on outside loops and isolators in the middle loops.

• Thanks 1

Morcs
4 hours ago, katoftw said:

Feeder arent correct. One feed depending on how the points are set and feed power to any track piece. Not good when you have two feeders.

Feeders need ro be on outside loops and isolators in the middle loops.

Ive had a better look and Isolating the middle of the S curves didnt look like it changed anything either way.

If I have power to both tracks on a curve at each end (opposite polarity between the 2 tracks) that should be sufficient, especially with points having continous power.

If i do a single station with a power block that makes things simpler also, less power feeders needed overall.

Guess ill have some fun when i finally put it together. Will probably be a standard oval for a while anyways!

Capture.JPG

Edited by Morcs

bill937ca

Putting feeds on curves is not so easy. Straight sections have two feed locations, can be in either direction. Curves have only one feed location per piece On a particular track all the feeds should be facing the same direction..  A 124mm straight is probably not long enough to control articulated tram.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Thanks 1

Morcs

Good to know and noted, thanks Bill

IST

A few years ago I made a similar test track without any isolation between the tracks. I made a short video about it:

• Like 2

Morcs
On 1/13/2021 at 9:40 AM, IST said:

A few years ago I made a similar test track without any isolation between the tracks. I made a short video about it:

Nice thanks it's practically the same but mines going to be a bit smaller. Helpful thanks.

Edit. We're points set to non power routing?

Morcs
On 1/13/2021 at 4:01 AM, bill937ca said:

Putting feeds on curves is not so easy. Straight sections have two feed locations, can be in either direction. Curves have only one feed location per piece On a particular track all the feeds should be facing the same direction..  A 124mm straight is probably not long enough to control articulated tram.

Setup the starter kit today, Can confirm block control on a 124 straight works fine with an articulated tram, so long as it's not going at an unprototypically fast speed.