Sign in to follow this  
kevsmiththai

Back in gauge 1 for a while

kevsmiththai

I know I keep going on about the complete lack of model railway shows in the U.K due to the Covid 19 pandemic but it is really starting to bite now. I should have been out last weekend and this coming on with Hakuho and i've got no excuse not to do the chores around the house (Spent all day Sunday replacing fence panels and spraying them with stain, Yawn!)

Anyway, as you've seen in the 'what you up to thread' I've ben reporting on my attempts to complete some long term Gauge 1 pieces. Two very rare Peter Prydderch etches for LMS Coke hoppers and the LNER 21t loco coal wagon given to me  by Martin King

large.1980318064_Gauge1rollingstock.jpg.a5940e55283bcda19ef03e4e528666a8.jpg

painted and lettered with extensive weathering to follow

In the old days before I went over to the dark side and started to do gauge 3 my next project was to be a highly innovative new gauge 1 layout based on the coal loading tippler at the Denaby and Cadeby colliery in South Yorkshire. This was to be 1F i.e gauge 1 finescale and was to feature a working wagon tippler

large.4094055_Denaby(1).jpg.b688383170ee91560ca55663c64208bf.jpg

Photo courtesy of the Adrian Boothe collection

The picture is self evident . the companies distinctive private owner wagons are lifted and discharged through the end door into a chute and into waiting barges on the canal..

The 1/32 model was fully operational. using a geared Buehler motor to drive a winding drum and micro switches as limit switches

large.82072782_WagonTippler.jpg.ab36d90bdac969261a0945588937af6c.jpg

The wagon was propelled onto the tippler with the end door locked. a hinged  retaining hook was put over the drawhook and the lift sequence started

large.1747872217_KR49021.jpg.f681a68a2ea2b0e9d3c75a9845238e4a.jpg

End door latch opened and the real coal discharged

large.1021090004_KR49025.jpg.b3290ddf00ba3d24728897db3779cde7.jpg

The cardboard box underneath was an afterthought after the first load went all over the workshop floor!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

kevsmiththai

Why I'm describing this is because I'll run a bit of a thread on gauge 1 rolling stock and some of the techniques I've used over the years.

More than any other scale the benefit of using wood for wood and metal for metal pays dividends. In that first picture the texture difference between the steel hoppers and the wooden loco coal wagon is very evident

so back in the days of my Mardy Colliery exhibition layout all the wood wagons were made of 3mm Plywood

large.2138516181_MardyMainPrivateownerwagon.jpg.625db2f7bbcf5c2a883ffce6c6949df1.jpg

Scribing mistakes looked like split planks and there was a satisfying 'rough' look to the wagon

The end door wagon seen on the tippler in living colour. Body is Ply, Strapping is 20thou plasticard embossed to represent the rivets and the steel undeframe is Plastruct ABS section (not polystyrene). The hinged door uses brass rod and 1/16th split pins. Wheels, brakegear and sprung buffers were from Tenmille products and the axleguards were from the Gauge 1 association  better known as G1MRA

large.1894151253_12tonprivateownerwagon.jpg.b22eaab98cf54049191c13ccd3af4a16.jpg

more soon

Kev

• Like 7

Martijn Meerts

That coal tower is great. I really do like the larger scales for the detail you can get into them, especially if you scratch build and/or super detail existing cars.

kevsmiththai

The beauty of using wood with polystyrene details is how easy it is to bond them together. This is a Midland railway Coke wagon kit that Tony Riley used to produce many years ago. Construction was ply and strip wood with the strapping and details injection moulded in plastic. Using MEK liquid cement applied with a brush to the side of the moulding and applying pressure the dissolved plastic is forced into the grain of the wood and once set is absolutely solid

large.922116172_Midlandrailwaycokewagon.jpg.b791dcff93e0431e03cdd2d94eb040c2.jpg

painted. Note it has brake gear on one side only and the running  number is only shown on the small plate on the solebar

large.497446526_MRCokewagon.jpg.753afd197d6f83580552c7cb2defed37.jpg

These kits were enjoyable to construct. You had to wait for the PVA glue to dry on each joint so no rushing

The brass coke hoppers seen above look very nice but if you are planning to construct a lot of wagons for a layout using metal gets a bit expensive these days. Mardy Colliery had a lot of the classic British railways 16 ton mineral wagons and to streamline production I cam up with the idea of using Acrylic sheet for the main body construction. This was sold in a local D.I.Y superstore in sheet form as a sort of secondary double glazing for house windows. Cheap as chips even in gauge 1 you could make a lot of wagons out of one sheet.

One unpainted and one heavily weathered one. One thing I did discover was that when I came to paint them after priming  I had to apply a couple of coats of black before the top coat was applied. If I didn't and the sun was shining behind them they went transparent! In service on Mardy they proved to be as tough as old boots, two surviving a four foot fall off the layout onto the floor

large.1358241364_16Tmineralwagons.jpg.eabd0669b116e3873ea31cf7c5429cc2.jpg

The same technique worked for ply sided vans. The classic 'Blue Sot' fish vans were built the same way

large.1299595727_SPVunpainted.jpg.3ed24ea1541776ed68395a23edc937ae.jpg

Under construction they showed every fingerprint until they were cleaned prior to painting

After the frsh fish traffic died out on British Rail these vans were converted to SPV parcel vans but they never lost the lingering smell of the previous cargo!

large.354000039_SPVParcelsvan.jpg.1ef2db9a673a7ba4e59d8f1dee56f0c4.jpg

more soon

Kev

Edited by kevsmiththai
spelling
  • Like 1

cteno4

Kev,

that’s a cool trick of using mek to soften the polystryene and then mush the wood bit onto it! Have to give that a whirl.

jeff

kevsmiththai

On this picture you can see how the black polystyrene has leached into the wood. The strapping on the corners is 'old school' foil (Like old fashioned toothpaste tubes) 

This is an old North British Railway 'Jubilee' Mineral wagon. Note that the one on the left still just has dumb buffers

large.1502077898_NBRJubileewagon.jpg.f76b8a44d6e0a2c424846aef0db5a928.jpg

Kev