Sign in to follow this  
Welshbloke

Building some GWR four wheelers in OO

Welshbloke

I've been assembling some of the old (at least 1970s) Ratio kits for GWR four wheel coaches:

After building one of each of the three kits they offer (and another five compartment third class) I started eyeballing drawings found online. The Ratio brake 3rd is a decent model but it's of a type of coach which wasn't all that common, so I decided to convert one using a spare side from another third to provide the extra compartments. First job, razor saw:

After cutting and gluing. Comparing the modified side (two tone thanks to the different colours of raw plastic) with an untouched one to check the overall length:

Once happy with one side I repeated the process:

The rest of the build followed the instructions, followed by paint:

How it currently stands. I need to order new lamp tops for the roof (as the kit ones were in the wrong places for the new build) transfers and some passengers:

It isn't 100% accurate as the donor coaches have very slightly different compartment dimensions, comparing their drawing to those of the intended prototype. But it looks right!

• Like 2