103 Kokuden

AhmadKane

Im thinking of getting the 103 series by Kato, kokuden 02 to create another indonesian commuter.

Couple of things I cant seem to find.

1. Do these trains have directional lights?

2. Do these trains have interior?

3. Can we install LED lighting?

1 hour ago, AhmadKane said:

1. Do these trains have directional lights?

No.

2. Do these trains have interior?

A very basic representation of seating, and driving cab rear walls.

3. Can we install LED lighting?

Apart from the power car (obviously) the Kokuden cars don't come with pickups.

Close-up shot of one of my units, if it helps:

29279016978_3585bc62d0_z.jpg
kato-kokuden-103-orange_02 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

TBH you'd be better off trying to get hold of one of the "proper" Kato 103 sets (10-513, 10-515) etc., they can be found fairly cheaply second-hand and will not only have pickups on all cars and lighting but give you a wider range of intermediate cars to work with

On 9/3/2020 at 11:10 AM, railsquid said:

No.

A very basic representation of seating, and driving cab rear walls.

Apart from the power car (obviously) the Kokuden cars don't come with pickups.

Close-up shot of one of my units, if it helps:

29279016978_3585bc62d0_z.jpg
kato-kokuden-103-orange_02 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

TBH you'd be better off trying to get hold of one of the "proper" Kato 103 sets (10-513, 10-515) etc., they can be found fairly cheaply second-hand and will not only have pickups on all cars and lighting but give you a wider range of intermediate cars to work with

but can I modify to picku wheels? tinkering mind?

I knew these were cheap but I hadn’t realized how cheap. Makes me think of the some older Railway Collection.  They are definitely much better 103 models out there.

• Like 1

They're basically the original Kato tooling from around 50 years ago, with a modern drive mechanism.

Excellent for someone who wants to try N gauge without investing too much up-front, which is why I have a set 🙂

• Haha 3

They're also good if you want to mess around and modify them. I've converted a yellow set into a Tsurumi Line one with retrofitted aircon, new couplers, painted the window crossbars silver to match the real thing...

Need to go back and finish the orange unit I was halfway through giving the same treatment, I wasn't happy with the fit of the aircon pods and it went back in the box for a while. There are all sorts of odd 103 Series variants you could build with them.

On 6/26/2021 at 5:31 AM, Welshbloke said:

They're also good if you want to mess around and modify them. I've converted a yellow set into a Tsurumi Line one with retrofitted aircon, new couplers, painted the window crossbars silver to match the real thing...

Need to go back and finish the orange unit I was halfway through giving the same treatment, I wasn't happy with the fit of the aircon pods and it went back in the box for a while. There are all sorts of odd 103 Series variants you could build with them.

pics please 🙂 Tsurumi line is my Fav and the Hama-Kawasaki branch