Micro Ace E653 Mystery Parts

CaptOblivious

CaptOblivious

I received my Micro Ace E653 today, and I couldn't be more pleased with the model. Review coming soon.

But in the box was this bag of parts:

[smg id=750]

What are these? They look like couplers of some sort, but I can't figure out where the clips on the parts would attach to the model. The instruction sheet that came with the model doesn't show them in any of the diagrams.

Just a wild guess, but perhaps drop-in replacements for the stock couplers, allowing closer spacing between cars, but losing the automatic coupling function?

CaptOblivious

Just a wild guess, but perhaps drop-in replacements for the stock couplers, allowing closer spacing between cars, but losing the automatic coupling function?

That's my thought too, but I can't for the life of me see how to attach them to the carriages. Perhaps there is a way to snap them into the existing Rapido coupler mounts (having first removed the Rapidos)...Anyway, they sure are ugly couplers! But I'll have to give them a try anyway.

Worth noting is that the carriages are tooled to accept TN couplers.

qwertyaardvark

based on some similar parts that i found online, and, as the auction name implies, they are adapters for some type of coupler. i'm currently looking for some documentation to make sure, but my guess is that those pieces dont snap onto your train, but to some couplers that you can buy optionally.

Edit: I found a site that shows a picture of the bag with instructions, but it doesnt show the part in the diagram...

Edit: Often called "他社製カプラーアダプター" or directly translated "coupler made for other company", so im guessing the part is an adapter from microace to other, Kato or Tomix, couplers

CaptOblivious

Hrm, there is a small sheet in a separate bag that looks like an addendum of sorts. I don't think this is relevant, but it's the only thing in the package that I can see that isn't obviously irrelevant.

addendum.jpg

qwertyaardvark

Ah, the picture you just posted seems to be telling you to not run the train on S curves when you couple the train type to similar train types (i.e. when you have two or more 4-car/7-car sets of the E653 and decide to make the 14-car or 11-car version of the train) because the train may/will derail. Still something nice to know. :)

CaptOblivious

I thought those nose couplers looked a little dodgy. Will have to connect the cabs end-to-end and see what happens.

Don't you have the same package in your Skyliner box? I know that my 781 came with them too.

You know, I never saw it if it's there. Maybe it is.

CaptOblivious

I thought these were to allow Kato's couplers to be fitted.

Really? I'm gonna have to try. But I still can't see where the adapter is supposed to fit. In the truck somewhere?

Hezekiah Strawbody

I received my Micro Ace E653 today, and I couldn't be more pleased with the model. Review coming soon.

But in the box was this bag of parts:

[smg id=750]

What are these? They look like couplers of some sort, but I can't figure out where the clips on the parts would attach to the model. The instruction sheet that came with the model doesn't show them in any of the diagrams.

They are replacements for the M/A coupler that allow you to use Kato's clip-on version eg 11-705/706. But the body's are tooled for Tomix's TNs, which are far superior.

CaptOblivious

Agreed; if that's all these adapters are, then I'll just ignore them in favor of body mount TNs. Still, couldn't help but be curious. Thanks all!

There are packs of them in my Rapit and #2612 Yufuin Forest Express, I'd never been able to figure out what they were until now. I've put the body mount TN couplers on both trains though, they are great idea manufacturers of US passenger cars should adopt.

These are good for every car BUT them motor car. If you put them on the motor car, they protrude quite a bit and you end up with a HUGE gap between adjacent cars. In this case, just drop in a regular Kato coupler into the stock rapido pocket. Of course, TN couplers are preferred but Kato couplers also happen to be much much more cost efficient and can noticeably reduce the gap between cars.