Odd derailment in LA over corona virus

cteno4

Apparently a disturbed driver over the hospital ship being in the port of LA derailed his locomotive. One of the odder derailments I’ve seen in a while.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/man-tried-to-derail-train-to-wreck-navy-hospital-ship-mercy-over-coronavirus-suspicions-feds-say/2339287/

please let’s not get this into a wider discussion of the pandemic here.

thanks

jeff

too bad he didn’t get help after he went off the rails figuratively and before he went off them literally.

jeff

I visited the site yesterday when I was in town dropping off emergency supplies.  The loco went though a set of buffers and traveled about 300 feet though a parking lot and a dirt lot.  No damage to anything but the loco and a fence.  It was still a few hundred feet from the ship.  One of the local club members filmed the loco being moved last night, they used side booms to lift the train and removed the trucks, then slowly walked the loco out onto the main road.  Seems they trucked it out rather than rerailing it, but the pilot was damaged and the trucks might not have been in the best shape to roll it back.  I tried to get some photos, but there were a lot of police around and no parking in the area.

It certainly seems to have gone a long way past the end of the tracks. I don’t think I have seen an accident anything like it. I suppose he was still on the throttle rather than the brakes, but still. 

Some photos I took, you can see the end of the tracks with the missing bumper and the train just viable behind the fence under the bridge.  I suppose the concrete didnt give much rolling resistance, but the dirt is what stopped them.

20200401_173612.jpg
20200401_173622.jpg

20200401_172921.jpg

20200401_172951.jpg

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 1

Sorry!  Dont know why the link did that.  if you open it in a new tab it flips right way up.  The top one has the locomotive on the ground and the second one pans to the right to show where the hospital ship is.  The lower two are taken from a hill to the north showing the end of track and the locomotive is just barely viable under the bridge. 

I didnt have much time in the area so those were the best pics I got of the incident. 

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 1

"Was it cool? Of course it was cool.

Was it worth it? I'm not so sure..."

Really, the oddest derailment of the decade, or "how to waste one's job and life for the most futile attempt to do something".

Also, it's only me or that SD40's paintjob looks suspiciously similar to the one of the freight train of GTA San Andreas?