Yavianice

Severe Japan Post SAL/EMS/ePacket suspensions due to COVID-19! -> (Updated June 30)

roadstar_na6

My EMS parcel took 72h to arrive in Germany whereas some Air Mail stuff did it within the time a flight takes : D

Socimi
19 minutes ago, Nick_Burman said:

Thanks. I'm thinking about Italy.

Cheers Nicholas

Italy?

Well, SAL has resumed shipping to Italy this summer, so, you could say things are back to normal.

(including the Dogana custom fees roulette)

Edited by Socimi
  • Thanks 1

Cat

Ooh!  Was just checking the latest shipping update at CDJapan and spotted this good news:

Update Oct. 8, 2020 : Japan Post to Resume Shipping with Non-Registered Airmail to the U.S.

Japan Post announced that they will resume shipping with Non-Registered Airmail as well as printed matters up to 5kg by Airmail from Oct. 9, 2020.

Note that there still may be some delays due to COVID 19 related issues.

• Like 1

chadbag
55 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

@Cat Unless your trains fit in an envelope, this will not matter, since Airmail only includes Letters according to Japan Post. https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2020/1008_01_en.html

From that link for the US

"Among Air items, only some ordinary letter-post items such as Printed Matter, Special Mailbags for Printed Matter and Small Packets are accepted from October 9, 2020."

It says "Small Packets" are accepted starting October 9

Yavianice

@chadbag

Yes, but if you look closely at the table, you see that ePacket, SAL, EMS is still a no-go. I think with "small packets" they mean "letter box sized packages" i.e. no thicker than 3 cm. 

At least, that's how I understand it. Aren't the usual packages for train cases usually shipped as ePacket, SAL, or EMS? I don't recall receiving a package not having any of these services. 

Edited by Yavianice

chadbag
2 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

@chadbag

Yes, but if you look closely at the table, you see that ePacket, SAL, EMS is still a no-go. I think with "small packets" they mean "letter box sized packages" i.e. no thicker than 3 cm. 

At least, that's how I understand it. Aren't the usual packages for train cases usually shipped as ePacket, SAL, or EMS? I don't recall receiving a package not having any of these services. 

I've had stuff shipped "small packet" before from Japan form some eBay sellers.   Some were more than 3 cm.  I think it is weight based but have not researched it.  I suspect it is similar to "Päckchen" in Germany (or what used to be -- don't know if they still have that), which was weight based, not size based IIRC.

Yavianice
Just now, chadbag said:

I suspect it is similar to "Päckchen" in Germany (or what used to be -- don't know if they still have that), which was weight based, not size based IIRC.

Päckchen is still a thing in Germany. However the usual UPU size restrictions apply (L*W*H no more than 90 cm) and 2kg maximum. But it also has a reduced rate for "letterbox sized" packages.

I dunno. Perhaps I can ask a retailer in Japan if he can ask the details. 

• Like 1

Cat

It looks like the manga can start flowing again from CDJapan at the very least.

• Like 2

Yavianice

Ok, I asked RG-R what his take is on this issue, and he believes that Small Packet by Air is possible for the following rates for the U.S.A.

image.thumb.png.f77a7f6777ad4732dd38aef6c06b9f9b.png

(Picture courtesy of RG-R)

• Like 2

Cat

HLJ just posted shipping details:

Air Small Packet can be used to ship packages that are up to 2KG, and have combined measurements of up to 90cm.

• Like 1

cteno4

Works out reasonable for small bits! Not much more than Sal small packet for the lower/smaller end of things.

jeff

Yavianice

MTP reports that Japan Post services to Canada have been suspended. It's not yet updated on the Japan Post website, however.