Crazy Auctions / Prices Thread

cteno4

wow that is insane 😮

Is there an acutal item list? There are probably one or two things I'd also like to have 😄 If so please send me a DM, Jeff 🙂

Edited by roadstar_na6

Yes we have a full list to make sure of what was there and did some verification with pictures. Agent was able to get in touch with the seller (turning out to be a very ingenious and proactive chap) and will be verifying all is kosher (ie lines up and no empty cases. A chunk of the profits will go into time just inspecting, testing and inventorying it all into a data base. Agent in japan seems like he is willing to put some sweat equity into the job for trains and future business opportunities as well as being work he can do in small bits of time now and then. 

what have we gotten ourselves into! Luckily the lions share of time and investment is by the pair interested in doing a side business. More to come, I haven't kept up with all the little details over thanksgiving.

jeff

• Like 1

Congrats! It's great to know it went to someone here in the forums! That massive collection is amazing! Hope it helps out whoever that had painstakingly par-take in this endevour and may it turn it a profitable business! (Which i still feel it should since there are SO many sets and bound to have some hidden gems, though we cant figure out the sets from the pictures.... 

Nice work Jeff!  I am sure everyone appreciates the effort - and is looking forward to what might be available for sale.  I hope this works out well for the two looking for a retirement side business.  As someone who retired, then unretired, keeping busy doing something useful is a very good thing.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

Maybe congratulations should be held until it is all consummated and disposed of 🙂

Still lots of work to do and things to go wrong and markets not materializing as expected etc...

But otherwise, wow!

Ok I’ll let the second cat of the bag. APRIL FOOLS 4 month early (or 8 months belated)! Sorry I could not resist and since now even if I said the sun rose in the morning on April 1 no one on the forum believes me. It was just too easy and actual elements of this are true, a couple of members did for a while run the numbers on doing a small new and used import business and we do have a sister club in Japan. Plus put in the thought of a access to a pile of inexpensive trains and ya got the ponzie leaver working for you.

I debated it spiraling into a bad deal and getting fleeced or our agent taking the money and going poof (hey I destroyed the JRM layout on two different April fools and had fist fights erupt when we got invited to show the layout at the whitehouse), but enough is enough.

hey someone has to yank all y’alls’ chain now and then and have a bit of fun!

cheers

jeff

• Haha 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Hey somebody has to do it! TRADISHOOONN, TRADITION!

these are mere parables to teach things like…

cheers, 

jeff

• Haha 2

aaaawwwww how could you Jeff... we trusted you.... 

Nevertheless it's a great notion and kudos to the buyer who got that massive collection...

You trust me Sammy after all those pranks?!

a couple of members did do a serious look at a small import business for Japanese trains. Biggest issue is getting a quality agent in japan that’s not super expensive. All the successful ventures I’ve seen doing this and talked to them the in country agent was the key. Lots of little costs to account for as well and they can add up.

jeff

That's why it was believable, a few of us remember that a couple of members of your club had looked at doing this. Just thought they had finally managed to, and was pretty happy for them.

It would have been a better prank if you had played the long game on this, coming up with a crazy story about why it did not panned out; how you got scammed. You could have posted it on the real April 1.

So much wasted opportunities 🙄

• Haha 3
21 hours ago, disturbman said:

That's why it was believable, a few of us remember that a couple of members of your club had looked at doing this. Just thought they had finally managed to, and was pretty happy for them.

It would have been a better prank if you had played the long game on this, coming up with a crazy story about why it did not panned out; how you got scammed. You could have posted it on the real April 1.

So much wasted opportunities 🙄

yeah those thoughts went thru my head but I learned as a young child not to let some things like that take root or I get into very big trouble! You would have banned me for a year if I went that far. A good prank like this requires some good factual items at its core and reasonable assumptions of what would have happened based on those facts, just twisted to the prank’s ends. People were getting well lathered about the potential trains and even one of our club members here on the forum pmed me asking about the “list”! As Bullwinkle said “don’t know the power of my own hand!” Besides no one here listens to me on April fools anymore.

When Calvin and Hobbes first started I really freaked as so much of Calvin’s adventures were like ones that went thru my head as a child but l learned you never tell them to adults. 

jeff

Wow that’s like some surrealist Japanese model train dream! I’ve actually bought a couple of capsule train lots that looked like that and were nice jackpots!

jeff

yes ebay is out of control on pricing!!  or its a "rare" item an you see two more of them on the next page at a normal price