Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kiran

Garage layout

Recommended Posts

Kiran

Progress. Meeting with a woodworker on Monday and taking all my track samples and curves.

 

As I build modules/sections and laying my track, it also occurred to me that I should research block detection and automation down the line. I think my primary use case for block detection is to stop trains from bumping into each other. There are tons of threads on the forum but all they do is confuse me :).

 

At this stage, as I build modules and lay the track, I want to be able to drop in some sort of an occupancy sensor in the module to be activated / used later. I also don't think it makes sense to have a single module be a block  (16 car shinkansen/16 car Calidonian sleeper+loco) and so it should be possible to combine a few sensors to become a block.

 

I have NCE and prefer to stick to it because the controller design is a little more blind friendly. Any recommendations that work with NCE and Unitrak combo would be best. NCE does have the BD20 and the way I understand it, it will trigger as soon as anything is drawing power from the rails. https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201254549-BD20-Block-Detector

 

As a crude solution, I used the littleBits proximity sensor with a beeper to figure out if a train is occupying a section and it sort of works OK with single track but struggles a bit with double track. https://littlebits.com/products/proximity-sensor. They even have an mp3 player that I can use to play station announcements if I wanted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kiran

Any suggestions on block detection sensors? See my previous post for details

Share this post


Link to post
Kiran

I am finally making some progress. I was going to work with a woodworker but he didn't have the time and kept pushing back. So I decided to try Master Piece Modules (masterpiecemodules.com) and their fully assembled 24" x 48" modules which are mainly designed for Freemo. I received a couple of them and I think they can work.

 

I have to use custom Unitrack or even cut some pieces because I am not sure if I can make 1220mm with standard Unitrack pieces. But this is an OK compromise.

 

I still haven't figured out block detection.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kiha66

Kato unitrak runs on a 62mm increments.  So 19 long straight pieces will be 1216mm, or 4 mm short.  If you put two S64 straight tracks at some point in the module in place of a 124mm track, that should add the extra mm you need to equal 1220.  Sounds like a fun project!

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kiran
17 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Kato unitrak runs on a 62mm increments.  So 19 long straight pieces will be 1216mm, or 4 mm short.  If you put two S64 straight tracks at some point in the module in place of a 124mm track, that should add the extra mm you need to equal 1220.  Sounds like a fun project!

Actually 62*19 = 1178 which leaves me with 42mm.

Share this post


Link to post
Kiha66

Woops!  I did 64*19 rather than 62.  However in kato 20-091 Short Track Assortment they include a 45.5 mm piece, which would allow a less than 2mm overhang at the end of the module.  This could work well, as it would allow for any movement of the module while not leaving a large gap.

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

If you want to be perfect it’s pretty easy to just cut out a bit of roadbed you need to reduce it by and then clip the rails off flush.

 

jeff

Share this post


Link to post
paolo
1 hour ago, Kiran said:

I still haven't figured out block detection.

 

I'm using Digikeijs equipment for my DCC layout and they've been great (and they're cheap).

I have the DR5000 command station connected via LocoNet to four DR4088LN-CS (2R) feedback modules and two DR4018 decoders (used together with DR4101 modules) for the KATO #4 turnouts.

You can have 16 feedbacks connected to one DR4088 and 8 turnouts to one DR4018.

I'm using iTrain to manage the layout.

If you need more info, I'll be happy to help.

Share this post


Link to post
inobu
On 5/17/2020 at 9:28 PM, Kiran said:

I am finally making some progress. I was going to work with a woodworker but he didn't have the time and kept pushing back. So I decided to try Master Piece Modules (masterpiecemodules.com) and their fully assembled 24" x 48" modules which are mainly designed for Freemo. I received a couple of them and I think they can work.

 

I have to use custom Unitrack or even cut some pieces because I am not sure if I can make 1220mm with standard Unitrack pieces. But this is an OK compromise.

 

I still haven't figured out block detection.

To make a 1220mm straight you need the following

 

3 248 millimeter track

1 186 millimeter track

1 124 millimeter track

2 64 millimeter track

1 38 millimeter track

 

Kato 20-092 

 

Inobu

Share this post


Link to post
Kiran
On 5/19/2020 at 10:09 PM, inobu said:

To make a 1220mm straight you need the following

 

3 248 millimeter track

1 186 millimeter track

1 124 millimeter track

2 64 millimeter track

1 38 millimeter track

 

Kato 20-092 

 

Inobu

Thanks Inobu. That certainly works although I might end up with a few 33mm pieces.

 

I was also looking at the 78-108 expansion track piece 20-050 but I am thinking it might look out of place on the module.

Share this post


Link to post
inobu

They come in handy, I have an assorted box of them they make life easy. 

 

Inobu

 

.   

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...