Bamboo SL Sound System

stevenh

So, I also attended the Annual AMRA Expo this year in Liverpool, Sydney, Australia and found this little wonder:

DSC03459.JPG?m=1272976439

DSC03439.JPG?m=1272976432

It's a little chuffer that _does_ work and was AUD$10. it's got a magnet attached to the axel and this activates a reed switch:

DSC03446.JPG?m=1272976434

Turns out it works wonders, when up on high voltages... but the circuitry isn't built for what is coming out of a Kato Powerpack (i.e. the train is already moving too fast before the chuffing starts... think 'machinegun'). It does have the input already rectified, so it will work on DCC... I assume; as long as the rectifier cleans the input enough.

See the whole article here

Boy does that sound remind me of when the LBG trains first put sound in their Locos.

Is that your layout you won that the train is running on? 

I got one of these many years ago (20?) from J&J Hobbies. It works great on DCC as there is a constant voltage high enough to work it at low speeds, on DC the loco, especially Kato ones, has to run too fast. I'd often thought of trying to put the guts of into a US boxcar, but ended up leaving it as is to run behind my Japanese steamers.