Kato Double Crossover track, opinions

Bernard

I'm thinking about adding an extension on to my layout (noticed I underlined thinking) If you can visualize it, my layout is in the shape of a "U" and the extension would make it an "E" shape. One of my preliminary design would incorporate a double crossover turnout. I'll be using flex track and my only option I can find is the Kato Unitrack double crossover:(Peco makes one but it's code 55 and more than double the price  :confused3:)

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=unitrack+double+crossover&Search.x=15&Search.y=8

So my question is this, if you have the track what do you think of it? Do you get a lot of derailments and will there be any problems with it on a DCC layout?

Can't answer you but I have question for you: You still have room in your basement to expand your layout?! That's great, now, do you have a trackplan to show?  :grin

I don't think you will have any problems with them. I just pull out one that I have and its put together pretty good. I think it has a stable foundation more so than the other turnouts (#4 &#6) because its one piece and lays flat. Derailments occur because of misalignment between track and wheels.

As long as it is flat you won't have any problems.

It looks like the V7 is the way to go. More track and switch box for a few dollars more. I don't get that but ok.

KATO N 20210 Unitrack Double Crossover

Our Price: $49.99

KATO N 20866-1 Unitrack Double Crossover Track Set Variation 7

Our Price: $55.99

I get a lot of stuff from these guys hard to beat their price. I see they restocked on the catenary after my last order. Still need to get the 61's tho.

Inobu 

I was surprised to see the pricing between the 2 items, it's worth the extra 6.00 to get the set.

I do have more room in the basement but I have to figure out if I do an extesion will it cause a problem in reaching the trains on the existing layout. That's way it's still in the thinking stage. 

That is one of the most overlook aspect of layout design. We want to make use of every square inch of layout space and never take into consideration access space. I think that is what the guy in England missed. He had a 10X20 shed and was looking at a 11 x 7 layout. That leaves only 3 feet in one direction 8 in the other divide by 2 and it does not leave too much room to move around in.

On paper it looks ok but in real life its hard to work a 1.5ft from the wall when your butt takes up 3/4 of that space. So, you are doing the right thing.   

Inobu

I've had no complaints, the double crossover is a lot of fun when I use it. I've found that I've had no more problems with it then with a #4 Kato (in both cases pushing cheap freight cars that have absolutely no weight have a chance of catching a point on the lead car). For DCC you shouldn't have any issues - all 4 connecting points are isolated from each other, so your only concern is making sure all 4 blocks are getting power in some way and that they are aligned so that a train crossing the middle won't cause a short.

It's certainly a weighty piece, owing to the fact that it's one of the biggest pieces of track Kato makes. Unlike the #6 switches the crossover has enough weight that the power cord won't push up the track. The single cable controls all 4 points at once, though you can use the manual nubs to control each point seperately.

Buying the V7 set from ModelTrainStuff is exactly what I did. Unless you have no use for the throw switch you're basically getting 2x 248mm straights and 2x 62mm straights for free. Having a box to store it in may be useful too.

post-219-13569923334503_thumb.jpg

post-219-13569923335042_thumb.jpg

post-219-13569923335896_thumb.jpg

post-219-13569923336279_thumb.jpg

David - Thank you for posting the photos of the switch including the underside. My main concern on this topic is derailments. I've had a lot of problems with Atlas turnouts, they just aren't as smooth as Peco switches and I noticed that most manufacturers don't make double crossover in N scale.

Inobu - I learned from an earlier layout how important moving around a layout is, if you can't reach an area that you can't work on it. My layout is 16x12, (See photo) the extension might be 2x6 placed in the 8' point in the middle of the "U".

Also the layout is freestanding it's in the middle of the room and at this point everything is easily accessible. I'll do a test and if the extension is going to made it hard to get to the trains in other areas, then that idea goes "down the drain."

post-22-13569923337116_thumb.jpg

I learned the hard and got the scratches on my back to prove it. The funny thing is, she asked "how did you get those scratches on your back?" I said "the train". She had that look. Quickly I responded "Its not enough room to get around in". I'm glad it wasn't 4 scratches grouped together.

Inobu 

LOL this is quite true, having good access is so true. when building a 3/4" scale exhibit model of the aquarium years ago, the sucker ended up so large that the only way to access many areas was to lean out on a trapeze suspended from the ceiling. we never thought it through when starting as the model evolved from just the core areas and then we just kept adding and adding until the angel approach was the only one for the core anymore!

we have used the double cross overs on the jrm layout and see no real problems. we run large shinkansens through them all the time. once and a while we will get a derailment on them with a large shinkansen, but it think thats due to its placement near a tricky S curve in the viaduct. Put put re-railers on either side of it if you want to be safe. could just get away with 2 #6 switches if you only exchange trains on those tracks in one direction usually. actually with the jrm we only really ever do our shinkansen track exchanges in one direction so we could have gotten away with that.

cheers

jeff

I learned the hard and got the scratches on my back to prove it. The funny thing is, she asked "how did you get those scratches on your back?" I said "the train". She had that look. Quickly I responded "Its not enough room to get around in". I'm glad it wasn't 4 scratches grouped together.

Inobu