787 and 883 a good pair?

David

I've already got Kato's 787 "Relay Tubame" put away for Christmas, and Kato has just released the 883 Sonic (the all blue "Renewal" paint scheme).

Would these 2 make a good pair to run together? While I like the design of the 787, the 883 has a bit more blocky look to some of the components, and that blue paint scheme isn't as imposing as the gothic styling of the 787. Alternatively I could look at adding another regular commuter - something classic like a 101 or 205 or new like the 321 (all Kato DCC ready).

Any thoughts on running quality of any of the above (the 883 just came out of course, and it looks like it is not just a repaint of the old 883)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10040742

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10091901

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZIOGKPYLUw

They are both JR Kyushu express EMUs so would be seen together.  The 787s were operating the onward connection from the northern end of the Kyushu Shinkansen to Hakata.  The 883s have operated on the Nippo Line.  Just need an 885 to complete the set of express EMUs.

You can add the 783 series to the list. It's a nice train with an interesting design. Microace released three or four different version of this train in the past. They can still easily be found, at least Popondetta has them.

All three trains are excellent. I was surprised to see the new paint scheme on the 883. I believe this is the 3rd time it's been done.

You can add the 783 series to the list. It's a nice train with an interesting design. Microace released three or four different version of this train in the past. They can still easily be found, at least Popondetta has them.

I've seen it before, though I didn't make the connection. It doesn't have the same smooth "baby bullet train" appearance as the others though. I think that's what really catches me about the design. The E3-1000 and 400 series Yamagata Shinkansens also have the same kind of style, albet they are full blown bullet trains.

Does Microace make lighting kits like Kato, and if so is there a way to lookup compatibility? (with Kato it's just a matter of googling katomodels for the train's part number, then looking at the bottom of the page for the 11-209/11-210 lighting kit numbers). I was already looking at some of their (expensive!) models for adding Hankyu line trains (be nice if there was a Tomix Hankyu set since it seems unlike Kato will do anything but keep reissuing the 6300)

They are both JR Kyushu express EMUs so would be seen together.  The 787s were operating the onward connection from the northern end of the Kyushu Shinkansen to Hakata.  The 883s have operated on the Nippo Line.  Just need an 885 to complete the set of express EMUs.

In the Hakata station including a 783 and a 883.

12-011.JPG

13-092.JPG

I was already looking at some of their (expensive!) models for adding Hankyu line trains (be nice if there was a Tomix Hankyu set since it seems unlike Kato will do anything but keep reissuing the 6300)

If you want Hankyu check out Greenmax and Micro Ace.  Not all Hankyu trains can run on the same lines.  Kyoto trains are wider than the Kobe and Takarazuka line rolling stock.

http://home.att.ne.jp/gold/dai/

Hankyu Net was the best source, but it's gone.  Wes still do have the links.

http://hankyu-net.com/link/

I've seen it before, though I didn't make the connection. It doesn't have the same smooth "baby bullet train" appearance as the others though. I think that's what really catches me about the design. The E3-1000 and 400 series Yamagata Shinkansens also have the same kind of style, albet they are full blown bullet trains.

True, the 783 has a more rough design. Quite similar to the 883 but not as smooth. But the contrast is nice and the stainlessbody allways make his impression.

Does Microace make lighting kits like Kato, and if so is there a way to lookup compatibility?

MA makes four diferent types of lighting kit (all LEDs). They are either "wide" or "narrow" and "white color" or "lamp color". Don't know the difference between the "narrow" and the "wide" kits. My 781 can fitted with only the wide type.

Somehow the 787 and 883 remind me of the original TGV design - though on steroids, what with the blocky frontside skirts below the frame!

Somehow the 787 and 883 remind me of the original TGV design - though on steroids, what with the blocky frontside skirts below the frame!

Exactly! They are extremely macho design achievements by JR Kyuushuu. I'd also buy a 787 if I was interested in the most southern parts of Japan. IMO JR Kyuushuu has interesting trains in general.

I actually think they are ugly, though they did have an interesting interior layout.